Status
Not open for further replies.

uxbal

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 10, 2016
Hi,

So, I need to protect my computer, had no luck with ESET not working and Panda causing BSOD's, so I'm now evaluating other options for a comprehensive protection (antivirus, antimalware, would be nice to protect banking, web browser and have a firewall) that I have offers to get quite cheap from my local vendors. Since there's no general topic, I'll ask on the subforums of the possible options. So, how good is Avast IS? How good are their labs and engineers? Are the lab tests really that good?

Any advice would be nice... Thank you.

Reactions: JB007 and Logethica

rupeshkj

Level 7
Verified
Oct 31, 2013
Avast IS is a good product and with some custom tweaks it can do wonders!

Link
to review

Note : You should go to war thread and get all info about every AV there instead of posting about every AV

Reactions: JB007

uxbal

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 10, 2016
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. War thread?

Edit: I have no intention on posting every thread, just Avast, F-Secure and Avira, as I received offers for them :)

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. War thread?

Edit: I have no intention on posting every thread, just Avast, F-Secure and Avira, as I received offers for them :)
This is the section @rupeshjoshi62 was referring to: Compare Software and Apps

Avast IS is great, but the only way to decide what is right for you is to keep trying different ones until you find one that's secure and you're comfortable with using.

Reactions: JB007 and rupeshkj

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
It depends your surfing behaviour . How good is your surfing behaviour?

And may we know why ESET is not working? What do you meant by not working? and How Panda software causing BSOD? during start-up? running some programme and then BSOD? Maybe some of us can provide assistance on that.

Anyway I presume you are just looking for a fast solution to keep the system protected.
there's Bitdefender, Avast, Kaspersky, any many others security suite that fulfill your requirements. Feel free to try.

PS: there's no need to create a few threads on different products and asked for opinion. :)

uxbal

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 10, 2016
Hi,

thanks for your kind reply. Sorry, I'm new and I missed on that compare section. Is there any way a moderator could merge threads and move them to the compare section?

ESET didn't allow me to open https sites, and the tutorial on their site with disabling/enabling ssl and root certificate didn't work, and support didn't help at all. So basically I can use it crippled or return it, so I returned it after a 10 day hassle.

With Panda, which I really loved, great interface, not heavy on my laptop, everything was great. As for BSOD's, they were appearing randomly, I couldn't notice the pattern. What did p**s me off is that I sent their support a ticket days ago, and another one, and am yet to receive a reply. That seems unacceptable for me.

As for these threads, if an AV doesn't really hog my resources, I pretty much notice some features and an interface. What I was aiming at, since you guys seem well versed in the matter, is warning me if you know that any of these labs are sub-par and if their hiring policies are for mediocre developers etc.etc. All three of these seem healthy companies, so that's a good sign, but as I said, if their labs are excellent, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again for your help.

edit: As for my browsing behaviour, it's safer than 95% of the public. I do visit a pr0n site here and there, but only the well established ones :D so I keep off the exotics on the web. But per my experience, the worst threats are where you least expect them, so having a peace of mind is nice to me.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Run a trial version first and test it.
You wont be disappointed for sure.
But I think they are expensive compared to other suits.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
avast is great but avast IS is not that great compared to other ones and it not cheaper than other others
I recommend you to try kaspersky IS 2017. You can get a very cheap 1 year license as we discussed somewhere in MT, still cheaper than avast but better IMO
KIS 2017 is light, not say it's lighter than AIS, but it has significantly faster boot speed than AIS
AIS, the lastet version is a bit buggy for me as after a few reboots, I couldnt get the AIS firewall to work, still asked me to reboot -> maybe I had to use avast uninstall tool to get it work but it's over for me

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Hi to answer your question avast free is enough , pair it up with zonealarm free firewall and you are good to go. fsecure paid is good , but like Avast paid it is too expensive for what it offers plus fsecure makes use of a windows firewall " booster " I cannot speak about avira ( used it some years back and did not like it all. )

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I'd pair Avast with Comodo firewall tweak both softwares and you've not only save money you've got some of the best protection you can get.

Reactions: Dave Russo

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
as for the SSL issue with eset most of the time it is caused due to wrong date config within the pc (when the BIOS battery dies) so, letting windows sync the correct time should solve the issue. As for avast well it is a decent product however you may wish to do some tweaking before using it, since avast with default setting is pretty much useless (at least for me). for panda, were you using a beta program? as it known that the current beta may cause issues on some pcs.

PDT: i may recommend to use f-secure as it deep guard is more or less awesome (better than avast); for avira although they have good detection rates, their zero day component is useless

uxbal

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 10, 2016
Hi,

Time was OK, ESET stopped https after an update to a newer version.
I didn't use Panda Beta, but the normal purchased one. I don't have any exotic hardware, nor many programs installed (less than a handful, I only install what I really need), and yet couldn't find someone with the same issue while searching for a possible fix.

In any case, thanks for your help, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.