How Google's anti-adblocker changes might affect other Chromium browsers

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Google know that, & IMHO it should not be forgotten who Google are & how they continue to amass their fortune which basically is data harvesting. Personally I feel Google & there friends are going to far & if you start blocking Google it's never ending & almost all sites break to some degree (including this one) :eek: Of course it's our choices....
I began using DuckDuckgo as search engine service instead of google . i try to reduce dependency on google services but i cannot deny that there other services that are critical and transform from it require a lot of change and time such as Gmail and google drive but little by little i will do that
i wont be like hawawi
Thank a lot for open source project imagine there was not linux based OS what microsoft will do to us

I reinstalled Firefox but with Google search engine. Chrome is still on my PC but I use it less and less. On my Iphone, my browsers of choice are Safari and Firefox Focus. But I won't replace Gmail and Google Photos. For sync between dfiferent systems, Google is hard to beat.
I agree completely with u

Reactions: Back3

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Brave
In an email to ZDNet on Friday, Brendan Eich, CEO of Brave Software, said the Brave browser plans to support the old extension technology that Google is currently deprecating.
"To respond on the declarativeWebRequest change (restricting webRequest in full behind an enterprise policy screen), we will continue to support webRequest for all extensions in Brave," Eich told ZDNet.
In addition, Brave itself supports a built-in ad blocker, that users can utilize as an alternative to any extension.
Furthermore, Eich told ZDNet that Brave would continue to support uBlock Origin and uMatrix, the two extensions developed by Raymond Hill, the Chrome extension developer who's been highlighting Google's plans to sabotage Chrome ad blockers for the past months.

Opera
ZDNet also received a similar statement from Opera, another browser vendor which uses the Chromium codebase.
"We might also consider keeping the referenced APIs working, even if Chrome doesn't, but again, this is not really an issue for the more than 300 million people who have chosen Opera," an Opera spokesperson told us.
This is because, just like Brave, Opera also ships with a built-in ad blocker.
"All the Opera browsers, both on mobile and PC, come with an ad blocker that users can choose to enable," the spokesperson said. "This means that Opera users aren't really exposed to these changes - unlike users of most other browsers."
Further, this ad blocker is very configurable because it also allows users to import custom domain lists, so users can block any advertising domain they want, giving them full control of what types of ads they can see, or not.

Vivaldi
Vivaldi, another pretty popular Chromium-based browser, published a blog post on Monday affirming its support for giving users a choice -- even if the company has not yet decided how it will proceed.
"How we tackle the API change depends on how Google implements the restriction," said Petter Nilsen, Senior Developer at Vivaldi.
"Once the change is introduced to Chromium, believe me when I say that there are many, many possible scenarios. Restoring the API could be one of them. We've restored functionality before," Nilsen said.
"If the API is removed altogether and no decent alternative is implemented, we might look into creating a limited extensions store.
"The good news is that whatever restrictions Google adds, at the end we can remove them. Our mission will always be to ensure that you have the choice," Nilsen added.

Microsoft Edge
The only major browser maker who did not respond to our request for comment on this issue was Microsoft.
The company announced last year it was ditching its proprietary EdgeHTML browser engine for a Chromium port of Edge, which is currently in public testing.
Microsoft's plans in regards to Google's Manifest V3 changes are currently unknown.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.