Advice Request How is Comodo firewall at default settings?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoob95

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2016
HELLO MT members i am thinking of pairing comodo FW with eset nod 32 or kav 2016. Is this combination is comparable to ESS 9 or KIS 16 ? i am thinking of keeping comodo at default level., i will not tweak it

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Comodo Firewall settings at default especially in Sandbox environment should be tolerable enough to handle. Remember that its powerful tweaks comes when you change it as long aware on the effectiveness done since its result maybe aggressive.

ESS 9 is more on the protection capabilities where Firewall and HIPS configuration are simple enough and can be manage to maintain efficiently.

Meanwhile KIS has complexity in the overall circumstances that you need a little check maintenance on their Application Control.

Reactions: Online_Sword
D

Deleted member 2913

IMO Comodo FW is good at default settings...I would suggest to keep "Dont show alerts" under FW settings Unchecked...thats it.
And I like to set Stealth Ports to "Block all incoming connections".

Reactions: JakeXPMan
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

You should use default settings for a week or two to get a feel for the program and then if you wish to, change your setting to 'Proactive Protection' and that on default settings should be enough just for a firewall but obviously if you wish you can change them and configure it to your liking :)

porkpiehat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 30, 2015
do yourself a favour, and check out Cruelsister's videos on Comodo Firewall... there you will find settings that will protect you better than the default settings.. it only takes a couple of ticks, and job done.

H

hjlbx

Creating combos between COMODO Firewall and another security soft vendor's anti-virus sometimes works and sometimes does not - even if you create mutual exclusions in each. Problems with combos have become more frequent since the release of version 8. Also, the issues seem to be system specific.

There's no telling if it will work or not until you try it on your specific system.

H

hjlbx

To be perfectly honest, following @cruelsister's suggested settings is good protection without a lot of rule-writing hassle.

Alternatively, you can set the sandbox to Block any Unrecognized files. CFW will act as an anti-executable for any Unrecognized files - this includes files that are not digitally signed by a Trusted Vendor.

Besides, there is a "disappearing rule" bug in CIS\CFW - so you can potentially lose all your hard work creating an advanced config. I do not recommend creating a complicated rules config until this bug is fixed.

For freeware it's pretty darn good, despite its quirks.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Comodo firewall default settings are good enough for average user however for better protection I strongly suggest either @cruelsister guide or the guide by one of comodo moderators over their forum. However to be fair if you are running eav or kav then windows firewall will be enough

Reactions: Iapepe
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.