Battle Comparing Ransomware Protection in Emsisoft vs Kaspersky?

Compare list
Emsisoft Anti Malware
Kasperskt Internet Security
In-depth Comparison

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
I have a license for both products and I am currently using KIS 2020 which works perfectly but how is Emsisoft Anti Malware Ransomware protection comparing with ransomware protection on Kaspersky Internet Security?

Which one do you recommend to use on my PC as I have licenses for both?

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
Back up is the best anti ransomware technology out there for free - Unknown!
As per topic,, Kaspersky has a rollback system which certainly useful in critical situations where the scope is beyond behavior blockers!

I rather use G data, Norton (personally) than them!
Why Gdata and Norton? In which areas they are better at?

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Both product are great and offer decent protection. For peace of mind, I would go for KIS and enable TAM and apply the settings suggested by @Robbie and you're good to go. Kaspersky KSN is much larger than Emsisoft's AMN. TAM in Kaspersky will give you unmatched security but expect some FPs if you go offline as TAM depends on active internet connection to access the data from KSN. Regarding ransomeware protection, I feel Kaspersky has the edge here especially if TAM is enabled.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Kaspersky is certainly better than Emsisoft
Emsi has been really struggling in hub test lately due to worsening of Bitdefender's engine

There are not many options in Emsisoft for you to improve its protection capability
in Kaspersky, there are plenty and there is a default-deny option for 99.9-100% protection = TAM

Against ransomwares, both can be infected. I rate them equally in this category in terms of behavioral blocker. For signatures and other components against ransomwares, kaspersky is much better

Last edited:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Emsi has been really struggling in hub test lately due to worsening of Bitdefender's engine
I've been wondering for a while why Emsisoft don't switch to Avira's engine instead of BD's.

On topic. OP - Both products are great but Kaspersky internet security is simply unmatched in the traditional home security products category.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I've been wondering for a while why Emsisoft don't switch to Avira's engine instead of BD's.
Only emsisoft know the exact reason
perhaps their license for BD engine hasn't over yet or they don't realize the gradual weakening of BD engine or switching to another engine may force them to rewrite a lot of signatures made to complement BD engine (Emsi engine is for PUPs, according to their website) or to adapt the new engine,...

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
1566411236524.png

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Prevention is better than cure
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying, if the chief research officer @ Emsisoft can break so much ransomware and is disliked so much by their devs that they insult him in code, the guy knows how ransomware and different strains work inside and out.

The attachment is from NoMoreRansom.

Attachments

• EAakgoSUIAAlVSU.jpg
    EAakgoSUIAAlVSU.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 319

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying, if the chief research officer @ Emsisoft can break so much ransomware and is disliked so much by their devs that they insult him in code, the guy knows how ransomware and different strains work inside and out.

I see! I might stated it the wrong way. I was talking about decryptors. Preventing the infection in the first place is much better and less hassle than disinfection. Anyway I do appreciate what Fabian is doing.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013

The attachment is from NoMoreRansom.
That could also cause bad actors to target Emsisoft even more and directly though. If they don't like Fabian there will be hacker, coders who are more skilled than him that will see the good he does for people as a declaration of war so to speak. That's just these scumbags ransomware creators mentalities.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
That could also cause bad actors to target Emsisoft even more and directly though. If they don't like Fabian there will be hacker, coders who are more skilled than him that will see the good he does for people as a declaration of war so to speak. That's just these scumbags ransomware creators mentalities.
That's true, but Emsisoft doesn't have a very large market share so they'd really go out of their way to do it. They wouldn't profit very much.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
That's true, but Emsisoft doesn't have a very large market share so they'd really go out of their way to do it. They wouldn't profit very much.
They could just take it personally, or one of them could. Anyway good for Fabian sticking it to them they need locking up spreading Ransomware through hospitals.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.