Advice Request How many of you use Norton 2017? Is it worth it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis de lorraine

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
sécurité norton est très bonne détection et de la lumière sur le système

yes it works perfectly well on my machine and l am sure that its module proactive and more efficient than its competitor kaspersky

[QUOTE = "mastermind, poste: 614450, membre: 47275"] sécurité norton est tres bonne et de la détection sur le Système lumière

oui, il fonctionne parfaitement bien sur ma machine et je suis sûr que son module proactif et plus efficace que son concurrent kaspersky [/ QUOTE]

it sometimes misses adwares and pups but like many other av but their uninstallation remains easy

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel Hidalgo

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
In my case I have been testing Norton for more than 3 years and I can tell you that it is one of the most complete products that has seen improved safety and performance issues in the last years.
Its strengths are SONAR, cloud technology (Insight), safe web, Norton Intrution Prevention and its firewall.
If anything, its weaknesses are the adwares and some False positives, but is a minimum in relation to the benefits

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Another Norton user since 2005 version. In my opinion, it is the product which has improved the most in recent years. It's performance is fantastic in their products of all devices, and it's protection is as good as it's lightness. You only have to see @Daniel Hidalgo 's tests in MT hub to see it's effectiveness.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I have Norton Security installed on one machine here and it does okay in my testing, Sonar is very good. :)
I agree Frog.
I used to be a BIG Norton360 fan. I loved everything about it. When Norton did away with the 360 line I dropped them like
a bad habit and moved on to BitDefender, mind you this was some years ago.
Norton has always been a Strong software, with only a few issues or shortcomings, but here lately they have really turned up
the heat and started doing a very awesome job. Lots of respect to them for turning their software into a major contender
again. Norton in my Opinion is worth the price of admission in 2017, and will be far into the future, if they stay the course
they are on now.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Using it again on my PC as of last night. I do not install the toolbars however. Am I still relatively safe? What recommended settings are you guys running?

Thanks.

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
I was a long time user of Norton Security myself, testing it regularly. It is solid protection, there is no doubt. Its Smart Firewall and Network Protection alone is worth the cost of purchasing it. The layers of Download/File Insight coupled with Sonar are excellent combined with the Av. Generally most unknowns are flagged by Download Insight if not File insight. Only a few times have I managed to slip something past it and it was as stated above, adware or occasionally a PUP. These testing's were at default settings, but if one were to venture into settings, they can set Sonar to aggressive as well as how the firewall responds to malicious traffic and have a hay day. Application Control gives you some options as well.

If I were to list anything I do not like about it, it would be the long time standing debate of why they still use a browser toolbar and why Safe Search is powered with ASK. Also the company is not well known for working with its customers support wise and or suggestion wise in a efficient way. Some of their methods for dealing with issues can leave a little to be desired.

Bottom line though, if you are wondering if Norton can protect a system, yes, yes it can, but this statement is not handed lightly, as it depends on the user that is utilizing it and their habits.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
I was a long time user of Norton Security myself, testing it regularly. It is solid protection, there is no doubt. Its Smart Firewall and Network Protection alone is worth the cost of purchasing it. The layers of Download/File Insight coupled with Sonar are excellent combined with the Av. Generally most unknowns are flagged by Download Insight if not File insight. Only a few times have I managed to slip something past it and it was as stated above, adware or occasionally a PUP. These testing's were at default settings, but if one were to venture into settings, they can set Sonar to aggressive as well as how the firewall responds to malicious traffic and have a hay day. Application Control gives you some options as well.

If I were to list anything I do not like about it, it would be the long time standing debate of why they still use a browser toolbar and why Safe Search is powered with ASK. Also the company is not well known for working with its customers support wise and or suggestion wise in a efficient way. Some of their methods for dealing with issues can leave a little to be desired.

Bottom line though, if you are wondering if Norton can protect a system, yes, yes it can, but this statement is not handed lightly, as it depends on the user that is utilizing it and their habits.

Thanks for your reply. I work in IT for a living so I am not a novice or anything like that. However I have had issues finding a third party av that tends to play nice with my Windows 10 setup. Most of the products I have tried did not work so well. I went back to Norton last night like I mentioned and so far so good. I do not care for the toolbars same as you and using ASK. Just crazy if you ask me. Wish they would do away them to be honest.

I guess if I need something else for protection maybe I will go with VoodooShield or something of that nature. Just looking to secure my home PC from most of the bad guys out there. My machine is always up to date. I also use Google Chrome with uBlock and HTTPS Everywhere and a few other goodies just to be safe. If all else fails I have backups.

Good to know that Norton does well with the entire package. I was just a bit concerned about not using the toolbars, but eh. Just to much going on in them for my taste. Oh I also use OpenDNS and have my PC locked down a bit. Nothing too crazy but it is not just a standard install of W10 CU.

Thanks for your insight!

Durden

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
It's a solid product, one of the best IMHO .
I used it on numerous systems since 2010 . it came a long way and it's a completely different product from the badly reputable old days norton in the early 2000s. actually i think most of the negative opinions about norton are coming mostly from ignorant users who only knew norton back then when it was a huge resource hog.
it's very light , one of the lightest , multi-layered solution that is exactly what the normal home user need. and it comes from a top-notch renowned security company.
IMHO the only security solution that gives them a good run for their money is Kaspersky which is a tank and I don't think any software can beat it , however for the normal user I think it doesn't provide that much of an advantage over norton which is waaaay lighter and more user friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.