Advice Request How many of you use SpyShelter Premium? Is it good nowadays?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I'm checking out a trial of SpyShelter Premium. So far running along smoothly with ESET Internet Security. I'm contemplating whether to buy the full version or not. Your opinions would be extremely welcome and helpful.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Great app for me and I always try to show that execept of listed and obvious features it can offer much more if we only want to know it better. SpyShelter is installed as FW version on my two mashines (Vista and Win8.1) and as Premium on one with XP (with Kerio FW together) and I don't want to change such security combos :)
If you want I invite to my review
Review - SpyShelter - an overview of my own settings, tips and useful information

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I use SpyShelter Premium sometimes. It is very light, and is probably the best protection available against the worst security risk for home users, and that is theft of login credentials. (Some people are frantic about ransomware, but all you need is backups, and ransomware is just an annoyance. Besides that, ransomware is on the decline.)
However, Application Execution Control is only available in the firewall version.

I am not sure what @Umbra meant by command-line parsing, because I am not aware of such a feature.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
ultimate bad support...
If you never depend on support, go for it.
Sad but true. The support can be terrible and even infuriating at times.

As @Lockdown mentioned, Spyshelter does not provide automated protection, nor does it tell you what actions are recommended. It just tells you what's happening, and you are responsible for all decisions. Spyshelter tells you who is knocking at the door, and what he wants to do, but it's up to you whether to let him or not.

erreale

Level 9
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
As @Lockdown mentioned, Spyshelter does not provide automated protection, nor does it tell you what actions are recommended. It just tells you what's happening, and you are responsible for all decisions. Spyshelter tells you who is knocking at the door, and what he wants to do, but it's up to you whether to let him or not.

The typical behavior of the best hips and firewalls produced in the golden age of Hips. I loved them! I really miss some "old" hips

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thank you everyone. You all helped me out. Actually I have a gift card worth $60 that I can spend online. Currently thinking of using the money to buy SpyShelter and GlassWire. What are your thoughts on GlassWire? My Security Config is right here
SECURE: Complete - Devjit's Laptop Security Setup
GlassWire is a beautiful and elegant way to know what's connecting to the internet. But it's heavy on the system (last I tried it), and it might drive you crazy trying to understand what is this process, to where is it connecting, and why.
If you are firewall freak, then it is good.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I'm checking out a trial of SpyShelter Premium. So far running along smoothly with ESET Internet Security. I'm contemplating whether to buy the full version or not. Your opinions would be extremely welcome and helpful.
I am not sure if Spyshelter and ESET Internet Security is a good idea, because that's two HIPS, which is a potential source of conflict. Ask @ichito if that's a good combo.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I am not sure if Spyshelter and ESET Internet Security is a good idea, because that's two HIPS, which is a potential source of conflict. Ask @ichito if that's a good combo.
I have uninstalled ESET. So far I have GlassWire, AppGuard and SpyShelter. Laptop's running smoothly with no hiccups at all. Now it's time to learn about these 3 products and configure them according to my needs. I set Chrome to Run as Restricted in SpyShelter.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have uninstalled ESET. So far I have GlassWire, AppGuard and SpyShelter. Laptop's running smoothly with no hiccups at all. Now it's time to learn about these 3 products and configure them according to my needs. I set Chrome to Run as Restricted in SpyShelter.
Appguard 5 and 6 is guarding Chrome by default, so I don't know if you are gaining anything from SpyShelter restriction. Maybe @Lockdown knows, he knows both of these apps inside and out.
In any case, Umbra's comment is correct, if you configure AppGuard correctly.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Just mulling it over, I think that if I would combo Appguard and Spyshelter, I would use Spyshelter firewall, so I could control certain executions that I might allow to run in guarded mode in Appguard, such as cmd and rundll32.

Reactions: Wraith

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I don't see the need of Appguard with Spyshelter.
One of my friends installed his copy of AppGuard 4 on my laptop. He told me that it's lifetime license and so I have kept it since then. Besides I really love the protection that AppGuard and SpyShelter both offer. Sure they are a bit hard to configure for a typical home user but since I have started using them, I found them both to be much superior to any Internet Security Suite and they also provide me with so many configurations.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Appguard 5 and 6 is guarding Chrome by default, so I don't know if you are gaining anything from SpyShelter restriction. Maybe @Lockdown knows, he knows both of these apps inside and out.
In any case, Umbra's comment is correct, if you configure AppGuard correctly.
I have AppGuard version 4 so I guess that doesn't protect Chrome. It's upto SpyShelter then to protect Chrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.