Advice Request How many of you use SpyShelter Premium? Is it good nowadays?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have AppGuard version 4 so I guess that doesn't protect Chrome. It's upto SpyShelter then to protect Chrome.
I never actually used Appguard 4, but I think you could manually add Chrome to the guarded apps list.
By the way, if you use Windows Defender, and Appguard 4, you might need to make some exceptions in user space, for Defender to work as it should. In recent versions of Windows 10, Defender runs from user space -- ProgramData.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yikes having problems with spyshelter for Arcgames launcher even when all are allowed. I had to take it off.
You might be able to resolve the problems by going into security settings and decreasing self-protection for better compatibility with 3rd party apps, or by putting your app on the not monitored list.
But in any case, SpyShelter can replace ERP or Voodoo only if you have SpyShelter Firewall version, and you run it in "ask user" mode. Otherwise, it is simply not equal to an anti-exe. To get true HIPS protection, you need SpyShelter Firewall version, in "ask user" mode. Anything less is just not it.

Reactions: Wraith

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
AppGuard and SpyShelter make up for a pretty good and lightweight combo. GlassWire is useful to me since I am using Windows Firewall and can Allow or Deny particular apps to access the Internet. Also it gives a pretty good overview of the connections, the host to where each app is connecting and the total data usage per month(I have a limited 100GB plan/month from college, so it's really useful to me). With these 3 apps, I probably don't need Windows Defender but since most of my friends have some pretty good malware pets in their laptops like autorun worm and sality worm, I keep Defender because we all need to exchange our flash drives while doing group projects and in case of these worms, I don't know if AppGuard and SpyShelter will be able to protect my PC.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I am not sure if Spyshelter and ESET Internet Security is a good idea, because that's two HIPS, which is a potential source of conflict. Ask @ichito if that's a good combo.
Two HIPS at the same time is asking for trouble :) I would rather recommend disable one of them or
- disable only "System protection" module in SS
- exclude whole ESET app folder from protection.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Two HIPS at the same time is asking for trouble :) I would rather recommend disable one of them or
I don't know if it's the HIPS conflicting or something else but when I run SpyShelter the Banking protection in ESET gets broken. So I uninstalled SS. I already have AppGuard and Shadow Defender. So I don't think that SpyShelter is necessary for me.

Reactions: shmu26

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Using something on top of a suite is unnecessary and wasted resources imo.
Yes I agree with this. I'm using AG just because I have a lifetime license and it makes me feel protected in lockdown mode. And as for SD I use shadow mode to test new softwares or if I need to run any unknown file.

Last edited:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
The problem with disabling HIPS in ESET is that you will also disable other security features of the product.

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
Im currently using Shadow Defender.

Im looking at what i can combine it with or if thats even needed. (keeping in shadow mode)

Shadow Defender + Hitman Pro.Alert (AV/Keystroke/Webcam protections)
Shadow Defender + VoodooShield (Lighter, full control of everything i run, No AV, no Webcam, Keystroke protections)
Shadow Defender + SpyShelter (No AV, but has HIPS, Webcam, Screengrab, Keystroke protections etc)

Spyshelter is nice, seems to offer the full complimentary features im looking for - but is even more expensive than HMPA & even the pro version of VS.

especially when i already have active licenses for HMPA & VS Pro.......

hmm - decisions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.