How Microsoft plans to ‘solve’ cancer using computer science

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
MICROSOFT says cancer is like a computer virus and can be solved by cracking the code.

The tech giant has revealed details of its latest research, saying it is aiming to “solve cancer using computer science”.

One of the projects involves using machine learning and natural language processing to help the world’s leading oncologists sift through all the research data available and come up with a an individualised cancer treatment for their patients.

Another is pairing machine learning with computer vision to give radiologists a more detailed understanding of how their patients’ tumours are progressing.

Perhaps the most ambitious project is one dubbed “moonshot” that could one day allow scientists to program cells to fight diseases, including cancer.

Researchers at Microsoft’s lab in Cambridge, England, are trying to map the “code” of the disease, hoping that once they understand how the problem occurs, they’d be able to reprogram cancer cells into healthy cells.

d47ec67ca62f9eef2ec117f5834659e8

director of the genomics group at Microsoft.

“Even 10 years ago people thought that you treat the tissue: You have brain cancer, you get brain cancer treatment. You have lung cancer, you get lung cancer treatment. Now, we know it’s just as, if not more, important to treat the genomics of the cancer, e.g. which genes have gone bad in the genome.”

Microsoft didn’t say how much money it is investing into the program, but its spokesperson said around 150 people work in the research centre in Cambridge. They range from computer scientists to biologists and engineers

Andrew Phillips, who heads the biological computation research group at Microsoft’s Cambridge, UK, lab said it makes sense for the company to be in this industry.

Full Article. http://www.perthnow.com.au/technolo...k=88658045487c74610c758124d7ed4a93-1474424804

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Microsoft should not only focus on those deadly threats but also disorder where until now, no cure at all.

Take an example: Alzheimers Disease where a solution to provide database and will retrieve to the brain to avoid data lost. Some thing related to that.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Yes i found this to be a very interesting concept and agree very much that it would be great if it leads to something. It is a whole new approach to medicine and who knows what the future could lead to. ;)

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Great share @frogboy ,thanks :)
This is a subject that has interested me for a long time,and I certainly think that a new approach to Cancer research is required.
The ratio of people who get Cancer has been rising for many years..
It seems that research has been more focused on cure than cause.If research can pinpoint the causes then prevention will lessen the dependency on a cure.
One approach that produces interesting data is to take the graph that shows how the instances of cancer have increased over the last 75 years and overlay graphs that show the increased public exposure to specific toxins...
There are some toxin exposure graphs that are too close to the cancer figure graph to be a coincidence IMO.
Personally I think that a computer algorithm designed to compare the peaks,troughs,and elevation rates of these graphs would be of great advantage.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Great share @frogboy ,thanks :)
This is a subject that has interested me for a long time,and I certainly think that a new approach to Cancer research is required.
The ratio of people who get Cancer has been rising for many years..
It seems that research has been more focused on cure than cause.If research can pinpoint the causes then prevention will lessen the dependency on a cure.
One approach that produces interesting data is to take the graph that shows how the instances of cancer have increased over the last 75 years and overlay graphs that show the increased public exposure to specific toxins...
There are some toxin exposure graphs that are too close to the cancer figure graph to be a coincidence IMO.
Personally I think that a computer algorithm designed to compare the peaks,troughs,and elevation rates of these graphs would be of great advantage.
I could not agree more this just could be the future of a cure for some of the worst afflictions known to mankind at least i hope so. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.