How much time does it take to create a malware that evades antimalware solutions? One or two minutes

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
“In the following table, first column represents the Anti-Malware, the second the number of samples (without transformations) correctly detected by the antimalware while in the third column (in red) the number of correctly detected samples after transformation process.”

antimalware-test-results.jpg

“The results is impressive: the antimalware is not able to recognize the transformed malware (given that it was able to recognize the original malware).
The transformation engine is released for the scientific community with the open source license at the following url: https://github.com/faber03/AndroidMalwareEvaluatingTools

The details of the test conducted by the Iswatlab are included in the report titled “Evaluating malware obfuscation techniques against antimalware detection algorithms

This test raises the discussion about the capability to limit the production of malware, the experts at the Iswatlab were able to create new malware without writing any line of new code, but just scrambling some old well-known threats.

You can read the rest of the news here: http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/51714/malware/evading-antimalware.html

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Malwarebytes detected 0? Damn son.
I am interested if any of all those programs devs care to explain how so different results. Either their is a flaw in the test logic or a flaw in their detection.

EDIT: This is for mobile which i know nothing but i assume it's mostly signature detection hence the results.

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Some very interesting results. Some do much better than I expected and others really impress me with the bad results.
Results are very different from the ones of 'independent labs' like AV-test or others.
Thanks for sharing!

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
With the code in hand it actually takes about 30 seconds (and that's when I'm doing my nails) to change malware. Further, the way the malware would be morphed is normally beta tested first to find the best pathway. It seems this test ("without writing any line of new code") is essentially about Script-kiddie mods so should be viewed as such.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
The transformation engine developed by the researcher for Android malware works by applying the following transformations:

• Disassembling & Reassembling.
  • Repacking.
  • Changing package name.
  • Identifier Renaming.
  • Data Encoding.
  • Call indirections.
  • Code Reordering.
  • Junk Code Insertion.
  • Composite Transformations

exCode

Level 3
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
This is why I don't use any live virus protection. Say an installer installs software it didn't even advertise (no check to remove or anything) then I'll do a MBAM scan. But other than that I don't really do anything stupid. On VMs though.. :)

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
With the code in hand it actually takes about 30 seconds (and that's when I'm doing my nails) to change malware. Further, the way the malware would be morphed is normally beta tested first to find the best pathway. It seems this test ("without writing any line of new code") is essentially about Script-kiddie mods so should be viewed as such.

@cruelsister

Yes , thank you .... the voice of reason :)

If these things are not actively observable "in the wild " , they are of trivial importance .
Life is too short ...

L

Lucent Warrior

The point of these kind of article's, always seems to be lost within meaning. If they can alter the code with out adding any new code, and bypass signature detection, this would not be trivial. These particular samples may not be in the wild, but you can rest assured, that samples have been modified and are in the wild and that it happens often, and even though eventually the product your using may develop the needed signatures, it will be only after the new modified sample has already been found on some systems. The point of the article was to show how easily your AV can be bypassed within minutes of a little work. Think deeply on this.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
@Terry Ganzi,
Thank you for sharing this!
If we tjink they used 5560 malwares, the detection ratio is low..after the "wash process" it gets even lower...not good at all and somehow scary.
Sometime ago I read on Android antivirus cannot monitor dynamic behavior..I'm not sure something changed since them...if not, all detection are signature+heuristic based...

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.