How much time it takes to update Emsisoft for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I uninstalled Emsisoft Internet Security from a old laptop (~6 years) due commonly bad performance with updates. When the laptop is off for 2 or more days it takes several minutes to update because it starts automatically at logon, in this time the laptop is almost unusable.

The logs shows times from 7 minutes to 15 to aply the update, with 15mb to 50 mb of data downloaded with some days of difference (2 days to 5 days at max).
My expierence with others AV is so much different for example, Norton only takes this amount of data commonly at first install. ESET is the best on the performance (I have it now on this laptop of reference). Even Kaspersky or Bitdefender is better at this because they start the update some time later for the log on.

Maybe is the laptop but with my own laptop is the same times of update(Emsisoft AM). For me and family is annoying because as a laptop, commonly I use them quickly to copy something from USB or print a document, and it takes much time to use it.

I had tried to run the update once at day, it doesn't works, it starts at logon. Emsisoft have to work on its performance on updates or at least leave to run other programs with priority.

@Huchim

AVs generally use CDN to distribute updates. Sometimes update issues are not a local machine\program issue, but instead caused by CDN\routing issues.

You should ask Arthur (GT500) about it.

Reactions: Huchim

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
@Huchim

AVs generally use CDN to distribute updates. Sometimes update issues are not a local machine\program issue, but instead caused by CDN\routing issues.

You should ask Arthur (GT500) about it.

Interesting, I'm thinking to open a case to support, anyways I wanted a reference for users of Emsisoft here.

About ask for (GT500), you mean write this on Emsisoft's forum?

Interesting, I'm thinking to open a case to support, anyways I wanted a reference for users of Emsisoft here.

About ask for (GT500), you mean write this on Emsisoft's forum?

GT500 = Arthur's user name on the Emsisoft support forum. You will see that GT500 is the one who responds most of the time on the support forum.

Reactions: Huchim
D

Deleted member 178

@Huchim Just to give a comparison, i set EAM to update every 30mn, and when i boot, it takes around 10-20 seconds.
And yes posting your issue on our support forum will be more useful.

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
@Huchim Just to give a comparison, i set EAM to update every 30mn, and when i boot, it takes around 10-20 seconds.
Do you had an experience not using you PC or laptop for some days or even the first boot at day and it's the same amount of time? I set EAM update for every hour on my day of work and yes, it updates around 20-30 seconds for me, the problem is when is some days of unuse or even the first use on 12 hours

D

Deleted member 178

@Huchim more than one day very rarely to be honest, but more generally even 10+ hours, it didn't show much differences. Of course more you wait between updates longer it takes.

You have a setting that allow you to update once a day at the time you want.
In your case you could set it to fit your needs or you can disable the auto-update before you turn off your machine and re-enable it after your boot sequence is complete.

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
In your case you could set it to fit your needs or you can disable the auto-update before you turn off your machine and re-enable it after your boot sequence is complete.
Yes, I could do, but not my family, that's why uninstalled from that laptop, that's my feedback and surely I'll reinstall EAM if Emsisoft take some decisition, as increase the performance of the update proccess, or start it sometime after the laptop has booted, something that I see commonly on others AV

D

Deleted member 178

Yes, I could do, but not my family, that's why uninstalled from that laptop, that's my feedback and surely I'll reinstall EAM if Emsisoft take some decisition, as increase the performance of the update proccess, or start it sometime after the laptop has booted, something that I see commonly on others AV
Feedback noted, i think you should report it to Emsisoft Support Team, they may be able to find the cause.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

I update default once per hour, and don't notice it update time, seconds not minutes. wondering if the older laptop is short on freespace to move things around?

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
I had a laptop which about 5 years old , i7-4810 with 8GB RAM and 7200rpm HDD , performance still good .

But i discover , if i am using this laptop everyday , than Emsi update is pretty fast , usually done in 1 min .

If i had long time do not open my laptop (more than a week), and Emsi version need to upgrade (not only database) ,
than the update may take a long time , sometimes even need more than 10 min .
It seems have depend how much data that update need to run .

The same situation also happen on EEK , i had install a EEK in my VM system ,
and my EEK had more than 1 month do not update ,
when i start the EEK , it take more than 20 min to update and install .

But if i choose to download the newest EEK again from official website ,
it only take about 5 min , it's more faster than waiting old version to update and install .

Reactions: frogboy and Huchim

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I update default once per hour.It takes around 30 seconds-2 minute.:)
I mean the first update at boot, mainly when is more than 1 day, that kind of update takes much time and resources

I had a laptop which about 5 years old , i7-4810 with 8GB RAM and 7200rpm HDD , performance still good .

But i discover , if i am using this laptop everyday , than Emsi update is pretty fast , usually done in 1 min .

If i had long time do not open my laptop (more than a week), and Emsi version need to upgrade (not only database) ,
than the update may take a long time , sometimes even need more than 10 min .
It seems have depend how much data that update need to run .

The same situation also happen on EEK , i had install a EEK in my VM system ,
and my EEK had more than 1 month do not update ,
when i start the EEK , it take more than 20 min to update and install .

But if i choose to download the newest EEK again from official website ,
it only take about 5 min , it's more faster than waiting old version to update and install .

That's exactly the same behaviour that I have, thanks for your opinion, I'm not the only one :). And I'm agree is more faster download again EEK

Reactions: KevinYu0504

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I update default once per hour, and don't notice it update time, seconds not minutes. wondering if the older laptop is short on freespace to move things around?
Both of my laptops have more than 60% freespace, and yes that's the time that it takes per hour, I mean the first update at boot

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
It's quite fast for my need. If it is slow it depends on my provider and not their servers, at least, in my location.
I can update it through the Great Wall, for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.