How often I should upgrade to a new phone, first time smart phone owner

carl fish

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
I am a first-time Android smartphone owner and I have some questions

I have a s 8 and really like it I was just wondering how often I should upgrade to a new phone?
when android stops receiving software updates can you still install apps and get app updates or should you upgrade to a new phone or wait until the phone's battery dies for example?
can smartphones, in general, last up to seven years or it is more like four or five years?

Last edited:

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
I've been using my Huawei y625 for 3 years now. It is a cheap mobile phone for 100€. The screen cannot break because it is made of plastic and it cannot scratch because there is a cover. Additionally only Android 4 runs on it, you won't find a rom for this phone. And will I change it? No :p Because the battery lasts 5 days (if you lock all Google stuff and use F-Droid instead) and the phone does what I need it for. Of course Android 4 is very old, but if I only use two apps a week, it's enough.
Back to your phone. The S8 is very new and will probably last a long time. I suggest you change it if the screen breaks or if the battery doesn't last long. If the phone seems slow to you, you can still reset it to factory settings. I think it will last 5 years if you're not a power user who charges the phone after every day. In the end, it's your decision, too. If you always want the latest, you'll probably have to change your phone every year.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Depends from person to person.

I, personally, change my phone when:
  • it stops working
  • apps stop recieving updates
  • battery doesn't last long
I currently have an HTC device from 2014 with Android 4.4. Two years ago, I had an LG device from 2012 with an Android 4.1. The reason I've decided to change it was the battery; it wouldn't last a day. Plus, a family member was renewing contract with a mobile operator and got a phone really cheap. :)

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
The problem is the battery ultimately

But processing will also become an issue, with Android. Apple avoids this with app optimization.

I use my S7 heavily for two years but now I'm very interested in S9 for battery and CPU improvement.

*None of that is to suggest the S7 has failed to remain an exceptional overall phone.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The Galaxy S8 is Samsung's 2017 flagship, so you should be good to go for 2 or more years.

Things to be aware of:
  • Find out how long Samsung will provide software updates for the Galaxy S8
    • If you'll get the next Android P etc.
  • Protect your device;
    • a 9H tempered glass screen protector
    • a quality protection case (Otterbox, Spigen etc.)
  • Monitor battery performance over the next 9 to 12 months
  • Take care of your Android device;
    • If you are not careful, Android can get malware
    • Avoid pirated apps from third-party stores etc.
  • My favorite location-based benefit, How-to - Get Google Play Store Credits for FREE (No Catches)

If you bought a SIM-free non-Google Android smartphone in 2018, expect 2 years of updates. Generally manufacturers should support their high-end devices with 2 years of software updates. Google will support Pixel 2 until 2020.

Contract SIMs are anywhere between 12-24 months. You can keep the smartphone after the contract expires or once you've paid any outstanding payments. If this is the case and you want to keep using the Galaxy S8, enroll for a SIM only tariff.

Word of advice: Avoid low-end devices. Android Go only launched this year for emerging markets.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I am a first-time Android smartphone owner and I have some questions

I have a s 8 and really like it I was just wondering how often I should upgrade to a new phone?
when android stops receiving software updates can you still install apps and get app updates or should you upgrade to a new phone or wait until the phone's battery dies for example?
can smartphones, in general, last up to seven years or it is more like four or five years?

Skip a full generation or two. Then pay cash for the phone.

For example I paid only a faction amount of money for my Galaxy s7 Edge devices because the s8 was out and selling big. I will skip this cycle, then when the Galaxy s10's arrive I will buy an s8. That way I don't get scammed with the monthly lease fees and other nonsense but my devices are still up to date enough to get the latest patches and have great features and battery life.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.