How Often Should Full Scans be run with Antivirus

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
Should i continue doing weekly full scans on all the household systems? or is that not needed in this day and age? Previously i did a full scan once a week, but i wonder now if that isn't good for modern ssd drives, and modern hard drives.

All systems now running Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes Free 4.0, Got the last system off Avast last week

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Oh ok , then will make sure i do that, i tend to like to scan the systems prior to doing system image of the systems. got in a habit of doing that ever since i started doing system images
Thats smart, you can also get Hitmanpro, which uses 3 antiviruses engines, 2 of which are Bitdefender and Kaspersky, the best antiviruses right now, its only a 30 day trial, but you can still scan your system for free

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
In my case never 😬 ... this question is not the 1st time that appears in the forum... it's a waste of time and resources... malware, and specially active one usually attacks some specific system areas/folders...

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Only run a full scan once when you install the Antivirus. And only if it builds an optimization database of files in your computer. Kaspersky and ESET comes to mind as products that benefit from this first full scan. Then never do it again. If there is anything live in your system that's what real time protection is there for.

Last edited:

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I never use full scan with windows defender.I assume that its real time protection would catch anything a full scan would find.I do use second opinion scanners once in a while though.

That is true if the AV already had the virus identified the first time you accessed it. If not, the file would be stored or activated in your system. If your AV identified it later, the full scan would be able to identify the file the next time you run it. Personally, i run a full scan once a month

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Run a full Defender scan routinely? It is to laugh. :ROFLMAO: I wouldn't even run one if I suddenly got the sinking feeling I clicked on something nasty. I'd run HitmanPro, Defender quick scan (maybe) and Norton, then grab the USB with the ISO. All of this would take a fraction of the time a full scan w/Defender would take.

A quick scan covers nearly all the bases anyway.

Why subject your machine to this torture?

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Why subject your machine to this torture?

Kaskpersky schedule scan runs monthly in background (and you can check to only scan if the system is locked) and i don't even notice it's running. I only have to check if it finds anything. One hour scan monthly in background is not my definition of torture, sorry ;)

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
One hour scan monthly in background is not my definition of torture, sorry ;)

No, I should apologize, I actually did not direct my response to you. Kaspersky is better-optimized than Defender anyway. My comment was strictly about Defender and its at-times hours-long full scans and meant "you" as in general "you." :) I have a fairly strong machine and I recall way in the past, a full scan w/Defender took well over one hour. :rolleyes: I mean, what if you need to log off and the scan is still running? HitmanPro takes about 45 seconds. Same for Norton.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
haha no problem ;).

Anyway, i would love to use Hitmanpro, but it's paid as far as i know...So i just keep using Emsifoft Emergency Kit (i was able to set it to automatically run when system is in idle through windows schedule task) or the Eset on-line scanner (but this one takes much longer)

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
No, I should apologize, I actually did not direct my response to you. Kaspersky is better-optimized than Defender anyway. My comment was strictly about Defender and its at-times hours-long full scans and meant "you" as in general "you." :) I have a fairly strong machine and I recall way in the past, a full scan w/Defender took well over one hour. :rolleyes: I mean, what if you need to log off and the scan is still running? HitmanPro takes about 45 seconds. Same for Norton.

7 year old desktop, 500,00 files, last scan with Defender took 27 minutes.

Reactions: roger_m

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I never run full scans. 360 Total Security Premium, by default, runs a quick scan daily. It only takes 2 or 3 minutes to complete, so I haven't feel the need to disable it.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I never run full scans. 360 Total Security Premium, by default, runs a quick scan daily. It only takes 2 or 3 minutes to complete, so I haven't feel the need to disable it.

Hey @roger_m , i know it's off topic, but why did you choose 360 TSP? If i'm not wrong, i read something concerning privacy about it, and the test results could be better, isn't?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.