Advice Request How strong is Trend Micro against PUPs?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

How strong is Trend Micro against PUPs?

• Excellent, one of the best!

• Very good

• Good

• Poor, one of the weakest

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I don't think that Trend Micro are exceptionally good with PUPs; I'd say that Malwarebytes, Emsisoft and ESET tend to focus on PUPs more than most other vendors.
You know PUPs are annoying and they'll emerge especially of inexperienced users are using the device, family members in my situation. I am planning to test as many as products to see what suits them best. Thank you

E

Eddie Morra

You know PUPs are annoying and they'll emerge especially of inexperienced users are using the device, family members in my situation. I am planning to test as many as products to see what suits them best. Thank you
Trend Micro might work out well for you, but bear in mind, no matter what vendor you decide to go with in the end... some have good days while others have bad days and vice-versa.

Trend Micro could be great for you; you should use whatever works best for you and your family. I hope you manage to find what you're looking for.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Trend Micro might work out well for you, but bear in mind, no matter what vendor you decide to go with in the end... some have good days while others have bad days and vice-versa.

Trend Micro could be great for you; you should use whatever works best for you and your family. I hope you manage to find what you're looking for.

My family and me are on completely two different sides. I am using Kaspersky, Eset, Norton and Bullguard on my own devices. Dropped SHP from my list. I have installed many products to test then on the family's PC and could not settle on one.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Since i have done beta testing with TM..i will give a bit more insight
Signatures wise ..YES..TM lacks with Pup's as well as malwares since it is a cloud based ..and TM focuses on WEB Prevention that too on prevailing threats at that time.

But it may block them on execution since it uses ML patterns and a slight Default-Deny approach..so there is possibility for a block +1
So on execution behavior is different from static signatures..May / May not be:D

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
For a family member or a newbie I always suggest them to buy an antivirus/antimalware (if they intend to) that is really good against PUP's (compared to strong virus protection) because chances of hitting into PUP's are much higher for them (and their carelessness).

It's a mess seeing the amount of fake toolbars and flash games on their systems. Literally a nightmare!

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Thank you all for your suggestions. There's no way I install Eset on Family's PC. Eset default protection isn't enough to protect ignorant users. I am thinking of installing a good anti-malware and pair with ReasonCore.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I agree. Have you tried the anti-virus Dr.Web? He is the best at coping with PUPs. So good, sometimes too good.

I have not tried Dr. Web ever. I am looking with anti-virus intended for inexperienced user who can't deal with warnings. I have installed Kaspersky and enabled TAM but unfortunately the PC drowned in a sea of PUPs. Is Dr. Web instal--and-forget?

Reactions: military

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Many PUPs comes digitally signed, so TAM won't stop them, unless You untick "Trust in digitally signed applications", and even though, many of those PUPs are also "Trusted" in KSN, for the same reason, and for other legal ones in many cases...

To fight against PUPs is easy, and no need any special tool, if Your surfing/downloading habits are healthy :)

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Many PUPs comes digitally signed, so TAM won't stop them, unless You untick "Trust in digitally signed applications", and even though, many of those PUPs are also "Trusted" in KSN, for the same reason, and for other legal ones in many cases...

To fight against PUPs is easy, and no need any special tool, if Your surfing/downloading habits are healthy :)
Run an eset online scan or malwarebyte scan. Hope that will resolve the problem for ya, for now at least. Kaspersky's PUP protection is almost non-entity. kaspersky is a great warrior who can use several types of swords but for some reason don't know how to use a knife.

Thank you! It's not me having the issue. It's my family's and I did everything possible to protect them PUPs and as well as malware but they just keep getting infected especially by PUPs

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Thank you all for your suggestions. There's no way I install Eset on Family's PC. Eset default protection isn't enough to protect ignorant users. I am thinking of installing a good anti-malware and pair with ReasonCore.

The default protection of any antivirus is good enough to stop most malware you normally encounter. The problem here is with the PUP''s.

100% protection is a myth and a concept followed only by security geeks.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Actually 90% of AV's suck against PUP...

Let me explain how it works:

if (file.digitally.signed){
report=safe
}else if (signature.is.IOBIT){
report=malicious
}

LOL

Trend Micro is great, go with it. Amazing BB. Install Unchecky to avoid adicional PUP installing.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
+ 1 for unchecky

Malwarebytes antimalware extension to prevent them from loading on browser

Hphosts.pup filter for blocking sites containing pups

Adwcleaner/ malwarebytes-antimalware/ zemana/ norton power eraser etc.. for on-demand

Not that all pups are malicious, or you would see them everyday anyways

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Actually 90% of AV's suck against PUP...

Let me explain how it works:

if (file.digitally.signed){
report=safe
}else if (signature.is.IOBIT){
report=malicious
}

LOL

Trend Micro is great, go with it. Amazing BB. Install Unchecky to avoid adicional PUP installing.

Thanks. I really like TM. Keys are very cheap also :)

Reactions: RoboMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.