Advice Request How to add filters to Adguard for Android?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Blokada can allow to add some filters. How about Adguard for Android?

I would like to add say EasyPrivacy List and Fanboy's "Cookiemonster" filter list to Adguard. How to do?

BTW, does Adguard for Android works with Brave browser?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Weebarra
D

Deleted member 178

Adguard Android is more limited than the desktop version in term of lists.
Im not sure you can.
However, you can import a user list:

Settings > user filter > import file

I think it is possible to transfer a filter from adguard desktop to the android version but it seems an arduous job... Maybe you can request in their forum to add the filters you want or to make a file from them.

About Brave, i don't think it is supported

Last edited by a moderator:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Adguard Android is more limited than the desktop version in term of lists.
Im not sure you can.
However, you can import a user list:

Settings > user filter > import file

I think it is possible to transfer a filter from adguard desktop to the android version but it seems an arduous job... Maybe you can request in their forum to add the filters you want or to make a file from them.

About Brave, im don't think it is supported
But doesn't it reduce battery life and increase CPU usage? I installed adguard on iOS and it seems only a max of 10 filters are allowed.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Earlier Adguard never worked for me, so I switched to FF with uBO addon with many filters like desktop version w/o a slowdown on 1GB RAM.
FF itself is quite slow IMO even on 3GB or 4GB RAM phones. I ditched it after 10 minutes because of its resource consumption without any extension. I have sony Z3 and galaxy s7

Instead, I use Naked browser (free/pro). It supports adding whatever adblock filter you want by editing a txt file and copy it to Downloads folder, unlimited but too many filters may break some websites
naked browser resource blocking

for system-wise adblock, I ise adhell for samsung which doesn't use the crappy VPN method. If you don't have samsung, you can use blokada

adguard is crap on everything due to its limitation of customization, except the desktop version
I only use adguard for ios to block ads on safari

treisss

Level 1
Verified
May 30, 2018
The only reason prevents me from using Blokada and back to Adguard was it being quite unstable, especially on MIUI roms.
Adguard's certificates used to be troublesome for using FF yet the issue seems to gone recently..

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
FF itself is quite slow IMO even on 3GB or 4GB RAM phones. I ditched it after 10 minutes because of its resource consumption without any extension. I have sony Z3 and galaxy s7

Instead, I use Naked browser (free/pro). It supports adding whatever adblock filter you want by editing a txt file and copy it to Downloads folder, unlimited but too many filters may break some websites

for system-wise adblock, I ise adhell for samsung which doesn't use the crappy VPN method. If you don't have samsung, you can use blokada

adguard is crap on everything due to its limitation of customization, except the desktop version
FF Quantum is very good. Chrome is too resource intensive on 1GB RAM.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
FF Quantum is very good. Chrome is too resource intensive on 1GB RAM.
for me, only naked browser and lightning browser (or lightning browser forks) are resource friendly. The rest are slow or consumes a lot of CPU or memory
I was playing a video using chrome. It was super laggy but with naked browser, it was very smooth

Reactions: Vasudev

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Regarding the ability to download filters will these filters be automatically updated or I need to manually update them?

Thanks

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Regarding the ability to download filters will these filters be automatically updated or I need to manually update them?

Thanks
you need to manually edit the txt file. It won't autoupdate but you don't need constant autoupdate for mobile adblocker
maybe twice or once a year should be enough

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
you need to manually edit the txt file. It won't autoupdate but you don't need constant autoupdate for mobile adblocker
maybe twice or once a year should be enough
Hi @Evjl's Rain

So now I have .nbhosts.txt (actually it's easylist) and easyprivacy.txt files in my Download folder. Does that means Naked Browser will load these 2 lists when using it? Likewise if I have 10 lists in my Download folder Naked Browser will load them all?

Do you know where to download this 'I don't care about cookies' filter list? I tried downloading it but it's saved as index.html format instead rather than a txt file

How about some best filters to block analytics?

Thanks

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hi @Evjl's Rain

So now I have .nbhosts.txt (actually it's easylist) and easyprivacy.txt files in my Download folder. Does that means Naked Browser will load these 2 lists when using it? Likewise if I have 10 lists in my Download folder Naked Browser will load them all?

Do you know where to download this 'I don't care about cookies' filter list? I tried downloading it but it's saved as index.html format instead rather than a txt file

How about some best filters to block analytics?

Thanks
yes if you have 10 lists, it will load everything but too many will make some websites appear blank so using 2-3 filters should be enough
note that naked browser doesn't support element hiding because this feature will comsume a lot more power and CPU
therefore, if you add I don't care about cookies, it won't work because naked browser can't hide cookie message

I suggest using
Easylist without element hiding
easyprivacy
and your regional filter

I think for analytics, easyprivacy is the best because I had problem with stevenblack's hosts when I tried to add it to naked browser txt

you don't have to download the txt file, just open it via your desktop browser, copy and paste into the .nbhosts.txt

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
yes if you have 10 lists, it will load everything but too many will make some websites appear blank so using 2-3 filters should be enough
note that naked browser doesn't support element hiding because this feature will comsume a lot more power and CPU
therefore, if you add I don't care about cookies, it won't work because naked browser can't hide cookie message

I suggest using
Easylist without element hiding
easyprivacy
and your regional filter

I think for analytics, easyprivacy is the best because I had problem with stevenblack's hosts when I tried to add it to naked browser txt

you don't have to download the txt file, just open it via your desktop browser, copy and paste into the .nbhosts.txt
But I download via Naked Browser and all are saved into the Download folder in my handphone as txt or hosts file

You mean I should view the file, copy ALL its content and append inside one single .nbhosts.txt file?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
But I download via Naked Browser and all are saved into the Download folder in my handphone as txt or hosts file

You mean I should view the file, copy ALL its content and append inside one single .nbhosts.txt file?
yes, you should copy everything into 1 .nbhosts.txt because it is the only file naked browser reads

to make it easier, you should edit the nbhosts using your computer. Using your phone to edit a large file will be a pain

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I think it's ridiculous. From FilterLists | Subscriptions for uBlock Origin, Adblock Plus, AdGuard, ...

Easylist with no element hiding rules already has 38 540 rule counts and Easyprivacy has 14 932 rule counts

How to copy?
open filterlists, click on the filter you want, then click View -> copy all the test of the filter and paste it to .nbhosts.txt (before it, you should delete everything in the nbhosts because the default filter is outdated)

I think naked browser is the only browser which gives you full customization of your filter list, besides firefox + ublock

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.