How to add self-protection to software lacking of it?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
BTW, I am totally unfamiliar with the whole "like" button thing.

I did not want to start liking posts, in fear of people being upset if I did not have the chance to like their post.

Please do not get me wrong, I LOVE the whole like button concept, but you get what I mean ;).
It's all good, we know it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks :p lol

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Thanks @danb for creating voodooshield and your tannaciousness sticking with it! I love to read how things have become , the way the are right now.....thanks for sharing the insight view. I also love the fact that you are doing the upmost best to take the critiques and feedback everyone sends you and incorporate them into the next releases. Keep up the great work brother!

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
This is a question that has kept me up some nights. The answer apparently is Microsoft. All processes starting from the standard Program Files folders are protected.

But you could also schedule a task that gets triggered when a program stops for example restart that security app or lock down your machine or disconnect from the Internet. Of course if someone can mess with your Task scheduler, all hope is lost. :p

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
This is a question that has kept me up some nights. The answer apparently is Microsoft. All processes starting from the standard Program Files folders are protected.

But you could also schedule a task that gets triggered when a program stops for example restart that security app or lock down your machine or disconnect from the Internet. Of course if someone can mess with your Task scheduler, all hope is lost. :p
If they unload your driver that will not help. ;)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It is ridiculously easy to paralyze a security app or prevent it from launching at system startup. All you need is another app, even a totally legit one, that conflicts with it.
So I don't place too much faith in "self-protect" mechanisms.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I found a few programs that will restart processes that close, get killed or crash intentionally or unintentionally.
8 Tools to Automatically Restart a Crashed or Closed Application • Raymond.CC

Highly recommend Restart on Crash from that list as that is the one I am using. You just add the programs that you want to keep alive and it will revive them automatically. Now if you really want to double down on this, you get another program from that list to protect the program that revives your security programs. :)

Edit: This comes at a cost to your CPU. Around 0.5% of constant CPU usage because the programs will monitor your programs to ensure they are still running every 0.5 sec. I guess it could be much lower if you increase the interval but to me the savings are negligent.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoboMan

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.