Q&A How to back up Google Apps?

shmu26

Level 65
Verified
OS
Windows 10
A small organisation keeps most of their important data in Google Apps, especially Google Docs and Google Sheets. They want a backup. What's the best way to do it?
Common sense says to install Google Drive desktop on one of the computers, and back up from that to an external hard drive. But it's not so simple, because with files in the proprietary Google formats, Google Drive desktop does not download the actual file. It downloads a link to the file. That's the rub.

askalan

Level 12
AV-Tester
Verified
OS
Arch Linux
Antivirus
Isolation
It downloads a link to the file. That's the rub.
I know this problem very well because I'm using Google Docs only. I think Google has a function that allows you to download a backup of a whole Google account. You can search for it.

shmu26

Level 65
Verified
OS
Windows 10
I know this problem very well because I'm using Google Docs only. I think Google has a function that allows you to download a backup of a whole Google account. You can search for it.
Right. That's a good option if it is not so much material. It is called Google Takeout
But this org has a lot of material, and the data is constantly changing, because of online collaboration, so they need different solution.

shmu26

Level 65
Verified
OS
Windows 10

platothy

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Bitdefender
Google Drive works for me. I am also using Baidu Pan and it is also great with 2GB free storage.