Status
Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Hi friends , was surveying to switch to different browser so decided to go for Internet Explorer. Well u may laugh at it, but there is reason for that. So guys please suggest how to disable ads in IE 11 and make it the best secure browser.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Don't that much hard to make it secure. Rather use some secured browser like Firebox + ad block plus.

But here is what I did for my home network :p.

I used fiddler to get all ad domain I generally connet to.
Then I blocked then through my router. SO now all computer connected to my network does not get any ads ( except youtube ads :().

Reactions: Purshu_Pro

Edward ST

Level 3
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
Why do you use IE? Instead of that, you could use Firefox. It's GREATER than IE. Also, you have unlimited addons and themes you can use. Only my opinion :)
I knew that in IE you could go to Settings icon, Manage Addons and from there click to Tracking protection, as I have IE 9

Reactions: Kent

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
Don't that much hard to make it secure. Rather use some secured browser like Firebox + ad block plus.

But here is what I did for my home network :p.

I used fiddler to get all ad domain I generally connet to.
Then I blocked then through my router. SO now all computer connected to my network does not get any ads ( except youtube ads :().

There is adblock for IE too so that wont be problem :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Don't that much hard to make it secure. Rather use some secured browser like Firebox + ad block plus

Internet Explorer has better security features compared to Firefox. AdBlock Plus contains a pre-defined Ad whitelist.

You can use Tracking Protection List such as the Fanboy for IE lists. If you use Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) in IE, then a desktop-based Ad-Blocking program is recommendable (as toolbars will be disabled with EPM). You can try AdFender, http://www.adfender.com

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
purshupro, as much as I like to 'laugh' ( ..well, at everything!) why would anyone question your using IE?o_O:rolleyes: Yesterday, last night in fact, I decided to get to using the old/new Explorer eleven while I was waiting for a linux distro I've been trying (manjaro open box) to finish dowloading onto a VM!:rolleyes: It's fast, that IE! ..and it worked so seemlessly, I totally forgot I wasn't using Chrome!!:confused: So, later, when I was using Chrome, I found myself wondering: "Where did this other clean looking browser that I don't recognize come from??".o_O Duh..!!:p ;)
I'm going to follow the tips offered here, and give Explorer another chance since the :eek:"bleeding heart" virus knocked it even further back from the public's favor ..even more than it was before!:oops:
Why not see how good IE can be?:):) :D

Last edited:

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
you can use fanboy tpl....go to following link and click on add tpl Fanboy Adblock List for Internet Explorer 9 and Fanboy Tracking List....these list will block lots of ads....
http://www.fanboy.co.nz/ie.html

also you can use adblock plus for ie
Direct download link: https://downloads.adblockplus.org/adblockplusie-1.1.exe

Currently IE11 is my default browser and I use only Fanboy TPL ...it blocks most of ads.... :)
Well I have already added Fanboy , but still not satisfied with its results and doesn't block all contents.
Talking about adblock plus, I uses lot of memory which makes my fan spin noisy.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Internet Explorer has better security features compared to Firefox. AdBlock Plus contains a pre-defined Ad whitelist.

You can use Tracking Protection List such as the Fanboy for IE lists. If you use Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) in IE, then a desktop-based Ad-Blocking program is recommendable (as toolbars will be disabled with EPM). You can try AdFender, http://www.adfender.com
Well I have already added Fanboy , but still not satisfied with its results and doesn't block all contents. And what is that EPM , where can I find that , what would be the use? Is AdFender lighter over system resources?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Use Adgaurd(Premium),blocks ads in all the browsers(gecko(firefox) or chrome based)................
Sorry I cant afford for premium, and in some thread I saw that Adguard is not lighter over system. So not yet decided to go for it.

Reactions: Kent

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Which antivirus do you have @purshupro ?
I recently acquired a file from wilders that blocks ads. It is actually a blacklist of all ad web pages and blocks the ads. If you have any program that that you can add custom blacklists, you can insert the file and most ads will be blocked. The file can be downloaded here. It is known to work with ESET (NOD32 and Smart Security), but any program that allows custom blacklists will do. You can even copy and paste the txt contents into OpenDNS, K9 Web Protection, or Net Nanny.
Note that the file is not created by me.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Which antivirus do you have @purshupro ?
I recently acquired a file from wilders that blocks ads. It is actually a blacklist of all ad web pages and blocks the ads. If you have any program that that you can add custom blacklists, you can insert the file and most ads will be blocked. The file can be downloaded here. It is known to work with ESET (NOD32 and Smart Security), but any program that allows custom blacklists will do. You can even copy and paste the txt contents into OpenDNS, K9 Web Protection, or Net Nanny.
Note that the file is not created by me.
Tried ur thread that u had already posted a while ago. But its not blocking ads in the sites I want. I guess i haven't done any wrong process in that. Indeed I tried adfender, its working good, but I feel my browsing has slowed up a little.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Tried ur thread that u had already posted a while ago. But its not blocking ads in the sites I want. I guess i haven't done any wrong process in that. Indeed I tried adfender, its working good, but I feel my browsing has slowed up a little.
You can add your own, as long as you know the ad network addresses.
Also, have you tried using the EasyList plugin for IE: http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/trackingprotectionlists
Did you try the Dottech XML file that I posted?

Also: There is a program called HostsMan which lets you modify your hosts file. You can then modify the hosts file to make it block ads.
A Lifehacker guide: http://lifehacker.com/5817447/how-t...and-speed-up-web-browsing-with-the-hosts-file

Reactions: Purshu_Pro
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.