How to check if your PC is protected from the Meltdown and Spectre exploits

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I have a sense that the rush to patch will result in buggy and inefficient "solutions". Better to wait a month or so or until a real threat looms. Even Google's plans to "harden" Chrome won't be realized until later in the month.

I agree. I sense there will be a much better solution to this. I expect the details too, once it has been released...

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
So.. really we will only know the full impact once all of the components are activated through the BIOS update. Some will never get one.

Reactions: GonzitoVir

Devilish

Level 2
Verified
May 20, 2017
One of my system Dell Inspiron 15 (3542) is still vulnerable to spectre exploits and i think the device manufacturer isn't even planning to release a firmware patch for it according to this support page.
Dell support

Reactions: GonzitoVir

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
source (bleepingcomputer.com): Another Meltdow/Spectre Test from Gibson Research - InSpectre - General Security

The tool "inspectre" seems to have a good reputation:

quote POST #01:
Good overview article at Ghacks here:

Gibson releases InSpectre vulnerability and performance checker - gHacks Tech News

Gibson Research test can be found here;

GRC | InSpectre

Steve Gibson writes good stuff. This one is a little slicker than some of the others out there.

From the Ghacks article:

"The application offers three core advantages over comparable solutions such as Ashampoo’s Spectre Meltdown CPU Checker: the program requires no Internet connection to make the verification checks, it reveals how much of a performance impact the patches may have on the system, and it gives admins options to disable the protections."

quote POST #02:
I second the assertion that, "Steve Gibson writes good stuff," and InSpectre is just the latest example.
An incredibly easy to use, and versatile, utility related to Meltdown and Spectre that does not require installation, but is a portable, stand-alone program. Nice.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I'm a little confused,
Ashampoo tool says im vulnerable and 360 tool says im not!
When I ran Gibson's tool it said I was protected from Meltdown. When I tried to disable Meltdown protection nothing happened (yes, running as "admin"). Ashampoo showed me vulnerable to all. Go figure.

FWIW, I don't recall patching for Meltdown.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andytay70

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.