How to check if your PC is protected from the Meltdown and Spectre exploits

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I am getting an error message on every PC I try this on here for W7 x64. Anyone have an idea of what might be blocking the command? I turned off monitoring of command-line heuristics in Comodo Firewall. That didn't help. I'm not getting any alert from any security application.

Here is the error:

Code:
The term 'Install-Module' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:15
+ Install-Module <<<<  SpeculationControl
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Install-Module:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
According to Ashampoo's Spectre Meltdown CPU checker, I'm protected for Meltdown but no for Spectre.
The same here. :cautious:(n)

With a AMD CPU you shouldn't need to worry that much, Quote : " AMD has published a statement clarifying that one (branch target injection) of the two Spectre variants doesn't impact its processors, and the second variant (bounds check bypass) can be resolved through a software update. ".

Quote : " it's still primarily an Intel problem. "

Source : How to check if your PC is protected from the Meltdown and Spectre exploits

Daljeet

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
When I heard meltdown and specter vulnerabilities from MT than I made few changes and understanding the upcoming problems with this meltdown and specter. I checked through PowerShell now Microsoft patch is installed from that day thanks to MT and MT reporters for posting this news.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
You're using an older version of PowerShell. The command isn't supported on the version you're running.

Not sure I want to go so far as updating Powershell if there is one. I have always felt it was a fail to have more than one app that can handle scripts on a PC, so I don't know. Thanks for the information.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I am getting an error message on every PC I try this on here for W7 x64. Anyone have an idea of what might be blocking the command? I turned off monitoring of command-line heuristics in Comodo Firewall. That didn't help. I'm not getting any alert from any security application.

Here is the error:

Code:
The term 'Install-Module' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:15
+ Install-Module <<<<  SpeculationControl
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Install-Module:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

You're using an older version of PowerShell. The command isn't supported on the version you're running.

Correct! Solved by updating PowerShell but please be aware that previous lockdowns on PowerShell will be reverted so you might have to do that again after the test.

PowerShell update : Download Windows Management Framework 5.1 from Official Microsoft Download Center

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
For those who installed KB4056898... can it be uninstalled afterward?

I'm good to wait this out for now... Maybe if I were a banking institution with a server farm I'd be concerned, but as there are zero exploits here, and it's unlikely I'll be near the top of the targeted systems, this seems to be a whole lot about nothing... why should I cripple my PC?

Last edited:
Reactions: tim one and AtlBo
P

plat1098

Curious to know whether anyone is giving serious thought to NOT applying the Intel microcode for the Spectre flaw, particular if one has a Haswell or earlier CPU and is running other than Windows 10. This would be due to anticipated marked reductions in system performances. Anyone? I will admit: it's crossing my mind more than once, it's a real dilemma for some. Just waiting for more solid information, right?

D

Deleted member 65228

it's crossing my mind more than once, it's a real dilemma for some
Make a backup.

If the update causes bad performance and you would rather performance for security then revert, else don't use the backup. There's not really anything more to be said... Keep your software updated for enhanced protection, or don't have enhanced protection. It really is as simple as that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.