Guide | How To How to check Windows Genuine or Not

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For ease, I'd recommend using Internet Explorer:
Code:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/

D

Deleted member 178

what is the point of this ... you know if your windows is genuine or not, you bought it on a trusted reseller, so it is genuine. You downloaded it from a warez site, it is a pirated one, and in that case you know how to make it "genuine" :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Some unknowingly will get ripped off and left with a non-genuine copy.

Windows should notify you if your validation fails, through Windows Updates (correct if I'm wrong).

D

Deleted member 178

the only way you get fooled is when buying a new PC with it preinstalled.

Yes and No, when you got a pirated Windows, you got only the important updates; but sometimes an update notify you at the reboot that your copy is fake and it disable your wallpaper and put a permanent notification at the bottom right of your screen. This notifications can be easily overcomed.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Some pirated OS also have the WGA file itself to bypass the Windows Genuine so the result its really looks as Genuine. But the truth it isn't.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Yes in smaller countries third party PC shops can sell pirated Windows 7, In most cases the buyer thinks he/she is purchasing a genuine Windows 7.

If the user installs this Windows Update it will tell them if their Windows 7 is counterfeit or not.

Note that this update is optional and does not install automatically unless the user checks it in Windows Update.

ZLI0E.png

Code:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971033

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
Woot mine is genuine.

I would hope HP would put a valid Windows 7 Home Premium in my new laptop :p.

D

Deleted member 178

MrXidus said:
Yes in smaller countries third party PC shops can sell pirated Windows 7, In most cases the buyer thinks he/she is purchasing a genuine Windows 7.

exactly, in emerging countries, buy a genuine Windows is out of questions, it can cost 2-3 months of salary.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Meh, I know I'm not running a pirated version right now. But even if I was, as long as it doesn't get detected I don't care.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I got 2 Genuine Windows 7 for £0.00 and another for £30 (spare license). :p

Edit: £30, not £70.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
If you're a student in the US you can probably get it for an incredibly cheap amount if not free. I got mine for 20 dollars and I know others who have gotten theirs for free.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.