Guide | How To How to Clear the Windows Pagefile at Reboot

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Pagefile is where some malwares can hide. Plus, there are plain-word text files that can be saved that contain passwords.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314834

NOTE:

Navigate to Memory Management in Regedt32.exe, double-click Memory Management itself to access registry key given in above article.

Just follow instructions.

If modifying the key causes issue, then simply reset the Value = 0.

NOTE:

You should expect extended reboot time since Windows will delete pagefile.sys - which is typically a large size file. For example, on my system pagefile.sys is about 12.5 GB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Pagefile is where some malwares can hide. Plus, there are plain-word text files that can be saved that contain passwords.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314834

NOTE:

Navigate to Memory Management in Regedt32.exe, double-click Memory Management itself to access registry key given in above article.

Just follow instructions.

If modifying the key causes issue, then simply reset the Value = 0.

NOTE:

You should expect extended reboot time since Windows will delete pagefile.sys - which is typically a large size file. For example, on my system pagefile.sys is about 12.5 GB.
I usually set a custom "pagefile" size,instead of system managed!;)
Nevertheless, thank's for the tip!!:)

H

hjlbx

Thread author
@hjlbx - interested to know if you have implemented this ... is the extra security worth the reboot performance hit in your opinion?

No. I don't need it.

It adds about 1 to 1-1/2 minutes to my SSD system reboot. So on HDD system I assume it could be longer than that. It depends upon page file size...

It is good to know how to do it, just in case you suspect pagefile.sys infection. However, deleting pagefile.sys might not fix all pagefile.sys infections.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.