How to configure Avast Free AV + Comodo FW combo?

novocaine

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
Hi Mates,

I would like to try to put Avast AV + Comodo FW combo on my little brother laptop. from what I know, either Avast AV and Comodo FW both have HIPS and sandbox, how to manage this combo to work smoothly, keep them both default or should I use only 1 HIPS and sandbox?

in addition, my little brother is gamer, he intends to install everything he need by himself, but he also intends to click everything (he's very young), previously he used local portable AV which result 700 malware detected by ESET and another 15000 PUP by MBAM when I tried to clean it up, so Avast and Comodo FW will be good combo? I need to put free security :p

thank you, :)

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Hi Mates,

I would like to try to put Avast AV + Comodo FW combo on my little brother laptop. from what I know, either Avast AV and Comodo FW both have HIPS and sandbox, how to manage this combo to work smoothly, keep them both default or should I use only 1 HIPS and sandbox?

in addition, my little brother is gamer, he intends to install everything he need by himself, but he also intends to click everything (he's very young), previously he used local portable AV which result 700 malware detected by ESET and another 15000 PUP by MBAM when I tried to clean it up, so Avast and Comodo FW will be good combo? I need to put free security :p

thank you, :)
He really IS a happy clicker!!:eek:;):)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
avast and comodo FW will not conflict. I have run them together with no problem at all.
avast is your antivirus, and comodo is your default/deny protection, either through autosanbox, or HIPS, or both -- depending on which config you use. Furthermore, it is not necessary to put in avast in maximum protection, i.e., hardened mode, unless you want to get double warnings for the same thing.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
installing comodo at default settings will be useless to keep your bro's computer clean, because if he is a clicker, then he will click his way through all the alerts, in order to get to his game. This will surely result in infection.
The only way to protect his computer would be to set comodo on silent block, and when something important doesn't work, you will have to come and fix it for him.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The combo is good, however we should consider automated things as Avast alone can do the job very well.

The Hardening Mode of Avast in aggressive mode can provide maximum level of protection as possible in such typical occasion.

You can try WinGuard Pro where you can locked browsers and other applications, to avoid your young boy to click somewhere else and play the game instead. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.