Not open for further replies.

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
hi guys. i hope someone of you use macrium. i read some guides but still have doubts.
i wanto to create an image of XP.
i have 2 HD (C and D)
i want to upgrade to w7 but if the pc doesn't work well with w 7 i may want to go back to xp.

i created already the media rescue tool

now i want to create an image of the two disks. all guides select just "create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore windows" but in this way it image only disk C.
instead if i select "image selected disks on this pc" i can select both disks.

so i am wondering. if i copy both disks at the same time , can i restore xp image with w7 installed or if the os does not start at all?

thank you

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
oh meanwhile i decide to start running the image backup. and suprisilyng it doesn't not require to format the usb i am using.like windows "backup and restore" tool does. can you confim?

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
oh meanwhile i decide to start running the image backup. and suprisilyng it doesn't not require to format the usb i am using.like windows "backup and restore" tool does. can you confim?
If you are backing to a portable HDD there is no need to format the disk.

Reactions: LabZero and Dirk41

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
if i had known 2h ago i wouldn't have copied the files in the portable hdd in other two places. lol. damn

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Open Macrium and click on restore and in the panel on the right you will see four options one of them is to verify image integrity. ;)

Reactions: Dirk41 and LabZero

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
May I ask you another thing please ? If I wanted to load an image from this portable hd, it would work even if I have also other files on this portable hd? Thank you

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
May I ask you another thing please ? If I wanted to load an image from this portable hd, it would work even if I have also other files on this portable hd? Thank you
Yes for sure that is fine and will run no problems at all. ;)

Reactions: Dirk41 and LabZero

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
but, sorry, how many hd/ssd installed IN your pc do you have? if more than one,you image both at the same time in the sime image? or you do an image for each hd/ssd? thabk you. sorry for bothering

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
but, sorry, how many hd/ssd installed IN your pc do you have? if more than one,you image both at the same time in the sime image? or you do an image for each hd/ssd? thabk you. sorry for bothering
Yes make an image of all drives at the same time is what i do. Not sure about HDD ansd SSD together as i do not have a SSD yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk41

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
So @Dirk41 i was wondering if your backup was a success, i am hoping all went well for you. ;)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I am so happy it went well for you, now you have many years of happy internet use and can restore at any time. Just remember backups are only slightly less important than a heartbeat and all will be good. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.