Guide | How To How to create a secure Guest Account in Windows 7

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In certain situations, you may want to allow guest users access to a PC. Take the proper steps to ensure that the guest access you grant is secure.

In certain environments and situations, you may want to grant guest-user access to a workstation running Microsoft Windows 7. Best practices dictate that such access be as secure as possible. Here are several steps you can, and should, take before giving access to a guest user in Windows 7.
Note: Applies to Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate only. It does not apply to Windows 7 Home Premium

Go here >> LINK

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I have mine disabled, not need for it. Thanks for the guide though.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Great guide but I run W7 Homebasic. Most users either have Home basic or Home Premium because thats what comes bundled with most Desktops and Laptops in India.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Some people have their Guest account enabled so if stolen, Prey (Anti-Theft) software can track them.

D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:
Some people have their Guest account enabled so if stolen, Prey (Anti-Theft) software can track them.

i stop using Prey...feel any Anti-theft softwares on PC less necessary than on a mobile phone.
I prefer set a BIOS password in addition of the logon one, if someone can bypass both of them (either by resetting the CMOS) he will have the skills to format my computer, so bye bye Prey...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.