Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
How can I create a PGP key to use for sending emails for secure communication?

Purpose: Privacy, security, confidential documents
IT Knowledge: Moderate

Desires: End to end encryption. If this is not possible, encryption from the time the message is sent until the time the sender reads it.
(If the end-user doesn't have a compatible program that uses a secure connection to connect to the internet)

TL;DR: Please help me create a PGP key.
I read some people are using Thunderbird. A new version is due to be released May 5th I believe.

-What clients do you guys use?
-What about encrypting attachments?

Is there anything I need to know for the recipient to be able to open it?

Thank You!

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
If you are using Thunderbird then Enigmail can be a very good option for you.
https://www.enigmail.net/
Other good option would be GPG4Win. Here you can practice the process of decryption & encryption of e-mails using Adele.
www.gpg4win.org/
If you still have any doubts using the above mentioned, please let me know.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
If you are using Thunderbird then Enigmail can be a very good option for you.
https://www.enigmail.net/
Other good option would be GPG4Win. Here you can practice the process of decryption & encryption of e-mails using Adele.
www.gpg4win.org/
If you still have any doubts using the above mentioned, please let me know.

The purpose is medical stuff and confidential stuff.

Which do you prefer? I have some very basic knowledge of encryption.

My understanding is say if you were using Gmail:

1) Compose a message
2) Paste your PGP Public Key
3) Write the email
4) Paste your PGP Public Key
5) Send

But I am not really that familiar with it. I am a MIS student, but we haven't gotten this far. Would you say Thunderbird w/ Enigmail is the best desktop client and an extension for Firefox or Chrome is the best for Gmail/Outlook.com, etc.?

Also, isn't there a requirement that the recipient have my key in their CA or a way to decrypt the message? Do I need to obtain a key by a Certificate Authority?

Not very familiar with S/MIME either. (I do Have Outlook 2013 but it's managed by our University)

Any help is appreciated.

(Mozilla Thunderbird is in its ESR lifecycle. A new version will be released tomorrow).

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
Hello soccer97,

You just download GPG4Win and read the help file by name Gpg4win Compendium. Everything is clearly mentioned in it from scratch(I mean from basic how to install, how to create a key, how to export a key etc). You can also practice encrypting & decryption using Adele, a free service by Gpg4win. After reading, you will know How to create a key, what is the diff between a private key & a public key. If you still have any doubts get back to me.

In case of Thunderbird & Enigmail, the encryption & decryption is done on your system, which is a safe option than online encryption & decryption in case of others.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.