How to Disable Annoying Adobe Automatic Updates – Flash and Acrobat

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartrosef

Thread author
Jan 21, 2014
STEP 1: Open Adobe Reader, Click Edit then Preferences.
STEP 2: Now Click on the Updater Section and choose “Do not download or install updates automatically”
adobe-reader-disable-update-notification-1.jpg

Now you can sit back and laugh, because you don’t have to deal with Adobe’s Stupid updates anymore.

-P.S. if you still have adobe speed launch opening on startup, do yourself a favor and get rid of it. Follow my guide here: http://tips.betdownload.com/adobe-reader-disable-update-notification-328n.aspx

Reactions: Donald Gudehus

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
sorry but you say "Disable Annoying Adobe Automatic Updates – Flash and Acrobat" but your post is about Adobe reader

it's better to keep Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash Player up to date because of vulnerabilities that are
found in them most updates for them are for security reasons not so much for features

i do not know much about Adobe Acrobat as i do not use it but i would think the same

since Adobe is used alot like Java it gets attacked alot like Java and that's why it is updated alot like Java so for some
automatic updates and update notifications could be a good thing

:)

James

Reactions: upnorth and dvault
I

illumination

I would never recommend disabling updates to programs as such, or any for that matter..

I

illumination

Yes, it is a good practice to keep Flash updated but Flash checks for updates every hour, that's way too much. I don't do any kind of automatic updates and Flash is not the exception. To disable Flash automatic updates:

1) Go to task scheduler and delete the task.

2) Go to Services and set the Adobe Flash player update service to disabled.

The above has to be done after every Flash update.

Bo

Hey Bo, been awhile.. Maybe im just getting old, and do not like all the extra work for what seems to me, is not a big deal.. But to have to not only keep an eye out for updates, so i don't miss them, and to have to disable this after each one, just seems to be a little more hassle then it should be.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
i do not use automatic updates on nothing i use also and disable them on the software i use as
i hate automatic updates

but i also know where to look for updates that come out for the software i use to keep up to date
and not everyone would know how to do this or care to

on my friends pc's that i work on if it was not for automatic updates or update notifications thay
would not be update nothing

it's a noob thing lol

James

I

illumination

i do not use automatic updates on nothing i use also and disable them on the software i use as
i hate automatic updates

but i also know where to look for updates that come out for the software i use to keep up to date
and not everyone would know how to do this or care to

on my friends pc's that i work on if it was not for automatic updates or update notifications thay
would not be update nothing

it's a noob thing lol

James

A noob thing? lol :p :D Seriously, explain why a person would not want their automatic updates, that will automatically do its job of keeping you patched, to not do this. Why would someone want to spend the time time to go look, and do just what the automatic updater is going to do "install the update".. Is it because you believe you might get hit with a fake update? System resources? Because now days, most people are running machines with much more power, and a lot of them are with even a lighter OS, meaning resources should not matter, and the software updating, well, that has become increasingly more often now days, all of them.. To have to manually update all my programs would take a minute..

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
i try to use portable software as much as i can so i upgrade or update manually and no startups

i use Windows Defender on Win 8.1 but i set Windows Updates to check for updates but let me choose whether to
download and install them and hold off on patch Tuesday for a few days to see if others have trouble first before
i install them

i then update Win Defender a few times a day

no java on my pc to update

and i can not explain why a person would not want there stuff to automatic update because i set my friends pc's up to automatic update lol

it's just how i roll i guess

James

Reactions: illumination

at0mic

Aug 20, 2014
A noob thing? lol :p :D Seriously, explain why a person would not want their automatic updates, that will automatically do its job of keeping you patched, to not do this. Why would someone want to spend the time time to go look, and do just what the automatic updater is going to do "install the update"..

When you work on a network with 200 users and each time there’s a Flash, Reader or Java update, a message pops up inviting them to install it. They all click Ok and then a message pops up saying they need the Administrator account to install the update. You then get 200 phone calls from people complaining they can’t install the update.

Instead you can switch off automatic updates and push them via Windows Updates using SCUP through WSUS.

Last edited:
Reactions: upnorth

mickery

Sep 25, 2014
Here is a clever method for disabling Adobe Reader updater if you have administrator privileges. As many have discovered, the results from other disabling methods are uneven. This one works fine so far.

Drill to *\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\plug_ins and rename the existing Updater.api to UpdaterNOT.api. Create a 169 kb text file called Updater.api with Lorem Ipsum text. Save to any directory where you can find it for later use as needed. Copy new file to the the \plug_ins directory.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Oh well the goal here is that crucial Adobe products must be updated either automatic or manual user preferences. So its matter of choice if its considered as annoying. ;)

Walt Lonnborg

Oct 27, 2014
Yes. There are plenty of online debates about the necessity of all those updates. I choose to update less often than Adobe pushes. There comes a point when the minimal security risk is simply not worth all the nagging by adobe. Having good antivirus/malware s/w and practices in place helps. My clients' business workstation users are prohibited from playing around.

Reactions: Donald Gudehus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.