Guide | How To How To Disable Logo GUI Boot on Windows 7 Startup (For Fast Startup)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
By disabling the GUI boot on windows 7 starup it will save a couple of seconds.

Steps:
1. Type " MSCONFIG ". (without quotes)
2. Run " MsConfig " as Administrator. (without quotes)
3. Go to " Boot " tab.
4. Check the option " Non GUI Boot ".
5. After then it will ask for for Restart. restart your computer then Windows 7 will start without GUI.

PIC1.png

PIC2.png

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Unknown said:
Umbra Corp. said:
same procedure in both Win7/Win8, good tips.

Thanx but i don't know that it will increase startup speed or not

I have known about this for a long time just never use it but I am sure it does,how much I dont know.Either way it is a great tip.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Any proof that disabling the Logo UI would increase Boot time?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Earth said:
Any proof that disabling the Logo UI would increase Boot time?

In the name of science,I just tried this in Windows 7.There is no boot time increase.What it does is remove the Windows logo on boot so your just looking at a blank screen for the same amount of time as if the "No Boot GUI" was not disabled

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Sorry, I meant "for fast startup". A common typo without Coffee present.

A blank screen is worse than a loading Logo, in my opinion, at least you know the PC is still loading compared to blackness.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Earth said:

A blank screen is worse than a loading Logo, in my opinion, at least you know the PC is still loading compared to blackness.

yes blank screen is worse than a loading Logo (please remove this post if you think it is not helpfull)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Unknown said:
Earth said:

yes blank screen is worse than a loading Logo (please remove this post if you think it is not helpfull)

I wouldnt remove the post,it is still something many might not know.Some might not want to look at the windows startup logo.

ultradolby1

Verified
Nov 8, 2012
...NOGUIBOOT may not be a good idea if you ever plan on running chkdsk. I know for a fact in XP if you set that option, when you run it there is no report, both as it's running, as well as afterwards,. All you see is a black screen until it's done, & reboots to the desktop, or logon screen, depending on how you have yours set up. All the research I've done on this is negligible. Some say it's faster, some say it's slower. I tried it & didn't notice a difference, although I didn't time it. What is just a little faster on my XP machine is the "/SOS" option, which I didn't see in the screenshot posted. The option in the screenshot posted called "OS boot information" looks like it could be the same as my "/SOS" which shows drivers & processes loading quickly, & you can see chkdsk run when you run it, & a report on the sectors afterwards, as well as the important "the volume is clean" notification, that is what I like to see. Here's a screenshot of the XP one.
BTW: if you reduce the number in the "Timeout" box from 30 to 3 (mine won't let me go lower) that will speed up your boot time by 27 seconds, but, be aware that if you have more than 1 OS on your computer , & you want to boot one that is other than the default, you will only have 3 seconds to select it, if you have only 1 OS, no prob.

Here is an article that was written about fast SHUTDOWNS. It was written in 2007 for XP, but just the same, pretty interesting, /w/ a tweak that may work in other systems if they have the same registry keys.
http://forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?t=66

Attachments

• msconfig.JPG
    msconfig.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,112

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.