Advice Request How to disable Windows Defender in Win7 when the "Tools" button is inactive?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
According to the tutorial of Microsoft (Turn Windows Defender on or off - Windows Help), if I hope to turn off windows defender in Win7, I need to click Tools -> Options -> Adminstrator -> Uncheck "Use this program."

But I find that, on one of my virtual machines, the button "Tools", as well as "Scan" and "History", are inactive. I mean, I cannot click them. Following is the screenshot.

Windows Defender.PNG

I do not know why. But I guess this is because there is no antivirus installed. So I hope to know how to turn off defender in such case.

Well, you may think that keep windows defender active will not do much harm when no AV is installed.

Maybe it is correct. But the problem is, when windows defender is not turned off, it will try to update in the run time.

In such case, some processes in the AppData\Temp\ folder will try to execute MPSigStub.exe, which will be located at a RANDOM folder in the root of some partition. Then MPSigStub.exe will try to execute some DLLs in Windows\System32\. These executions are a little boring when I only want to test some anti-exe programs. That is why I hope to disable windows defender.

Thank you.:)

Reactions: frogboy and LabZero

Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015

Thank you. Just now I turned off the service of defender. Different from the case where windows defender is directly turned off, now I can still open the main window of defender. But now it prompts me that its service has been turned off.

I will verify that whether MPSigStub.exe will still be executed or not, and reply the result to this thread.:)

Thank you.;)

Reactions: LabZero

Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
After 1 hour, no event log shows that MPSigStub.exe is invoked again.

So I think it has been solved.:) Thanks again @Klipsh .

Reactions: LabZero
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.