RodM1956

Level 2
I want to install the hardware drivers from my manufacturer "Asrock" web sight, I don't want the drivers from MS.

I know this is possible during a clean install, but I don't know how to do it myself.

As with Nvidia, you have to uninstall the driver MS installs and install the latest driver from Nvidia.

But I don't want to have to do that, with my hardware drivers. I rather prevent MS from installing them, leaving them with the exclamation point in Device manager, and installing the ones from Asrock myself.

Can someone enplane in detail, or do I have to use something like NTlite... IF I have to use something like NTlite (it's expensive), but I hear that it works really good. Possibly you know of a reduced Win 10 Image, that is from someone here (thus it is trustworthy) that I could use.

I have 2 Windows 10 Licenses, so I would be able to activate any Windows 10 Pro Image I use, then install just the drivers and software I want.

Thanks for any help possible..

LoLs

Level 2
You can use this to disable automatic driver update, and then use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) for nvidia before installing

Turn On Including Driver Updates

create new file eg. Turn_on_include_drivers_in_Windows_Update.reg and edit
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]
"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000000
save and double click ONDriver.REG.

To turn off Including Driver Updates
create new file eg. Turn_off_include_drivers_in_Windows_Update.reg and edit

Code:
"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001
save and double click Turn_off_include_drivers_in_Windows_Update.reg

Or you can use regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings
ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate DWORD
and changes value to 0 = On or 1 = Off

credit: Shawn Brink

RodM1956

Level 2
You can use this to disable automatic driver update, and then use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) for nvidia before installing

Turn On Including Driver Updates

create new file eg. Turn_on_include_drivers_in_Windows_Update.reg and edit
Code:
"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000000
save and double click ONDriver.REG.

To turn off Including Driver Updates
create new file eg. Turn_off_include_drivers_in_Windows_Update.reg and edit

Code:
"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001
save and double click Turn_off_include_drivers_in_Windows_Update.reg

Or you can use regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings
ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate DWORD
and changes value to 0 = On or 1 = Off

credit: Shawn Brink
Thanks.

Reactions: AtlBo and Vasudev

plat1098

Level 5
Verified
Well, with NVIDIA, I have to act very fast because as soon as I restart machine--even from DDU and safe mode-- Windows is already installing its ancient driver. I just installed a later NV driver not an hour ago to retest my routine, and it worked fine:

+download and save desired NVIDIA driver,
+uninstall current driver from Control Panel/Programs and Features,
+disable Device Install Service via services.msc
+restart machine
+enable Device Install Service and set to Manual
+install newly downloaded NVIDIA driver. If driver fails to install, check if the above service is enabled and started.

If GeForce Experience installs along with the driver, I always remove it and whack the telemetry services. Maybe there's an easier way but this has been good when I make a snap decision to update the driver. With clean install, I enable a group policy setting specifically for this but maybe disabling the above service would also do the trick--just have to remember to enable it right before you want to install a driver and then keep it enabled. I'll find out when it's time for the April 2019 update, though I've not had a problem with over-writing the Windows-installed chipset or Ethernet drivers yet. It's NVIDIA that always the problem and I never install over top of it. :mad:

Reactions: RXZ6Q and AtlBo

Vasudev

Level 27
Verified
Well, with NVIDIA, I have to act very fast because as soon as I restart machine--even from DDU and safe mode-- Windows is already installing its ancient driver. I just installed a later NV driver not an hour ago to retest my routine, and it worked fine:

+download and save desired NVIDIA driver,
+uninstall current driver from Control Panel/Programs and Features,
+disable Device Install Service via services.msc
+restart machine
+enable Device Install Service and set to Manual
+install newly downloaded NVIDIA driver. If driver fails to install, check if the above service is enabled and started.

If GeForce Experience installs along with the driver, I always remove it and whack the telemetry services. Maybe there's an easier way but this has been good when I make a snap decision to update the driver. With clean install, I enable a group policy setting specifically for this but maybe disabling the above service would also do the trick--just have to remember to enable it right before you want to install a driver and then keep it enabled. I'll find out when it's time for the April 2019 update, though I've not had a problem with over-writing the Windows-installed chipset or Ethernet drivers yet. It's NVIDIA that always the problem and I never install over top of it. :mad:
Disabling Device install service isn't a good idea because every new hardware inserted into the PC needs proper driver to be installed. So, best bet is to use windows update blocker to disable windows update and enabling them only when you need to update windows. I use metered network to throttle driver downloads.

Reactions: plat1098

plat1098

Level 5
Verified
Disabling Device install service isn't a good idea because every new hardware inserted into the PC needs proper driver to be installed.
Yes, this is most always correct. However, I have to re-enable that service anyway right before I install the new driver, otherwise the install fails--as it should. Probably not the best method but an effective one for me--see where I stated above that I just have to remember that crucial step to enable it prior to driver installation. Then, of course to leave it alone.

Vasudev

Level 27
Verified
Yes, this is most always correct. However, I have to re-enable that service anyway right before I install the new driver, otherwise the install fails--as it should. Probably not the best method but an effective one for me--see where I stated above that I just have to remember that crucial step to enable it prior to driver installation. Then, of course to leave it alone.
Disabling win updates is easy method, a single click solution in wub.

Reactions: plat1098