How to do a clean install and NOT allow windows to install the drivers ?

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
I want to install the hardware drivers from my manufacturer "Asrock" web sight, I don't want the drivers from MS.

I know this is possible during a clean install, but I don't know how to do it myself.

As with Nvidia, you have to uninstall the driver MS installs and install the latest driver from Nvidia.

But I don't want to have to do that, with my hardware drivers. I rather prevent MS from installing them, leaving them with the exclamation point in Device manager, and installing the ones from Asrock myself.

Can someone enplane in detail, or do I have to use something like NTlite... IF I have to use something like NTlite (it's expensive), but I hear that it works really good. Possibly you know of a reduced Win 10 Image, that is from someone here (thus it is trustworthy) that I could use.

I have 2 Windows 10 Licenses, so I would be able to activate any Windows 10 Pro Image I use, then install just the drivers and software I want.

Thanks for any help possible..

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Try disabling these two options in the O&O ShutUp10 app. As @Thirio pointed out disabling internet before windows boots up after a clean install is recommended to prevent Windows from downloading missing driver through windows update.

LoLs

Level 2
Verified
Dec 16, 2016
You can use this to disable automatic driver update, and then use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) for nvidia before installing

Turn On Including Driver Updates

create new file eg. Turn_on_include_drivers_in_Windows_Update.reg and edit
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]
"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000000

save and double click ONDriver.REG.

To turn off Including Driver Updates
create new file eg. Turn_off_include_drivers_in_Windows_Update.reg and edit

Code:
"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001

save and double click Turn_off_include_drivers_in_Windows_Update.reg

Or you can use regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings
ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate DWORD
and changes value to 0 = On or 1 = Off

credit: Shawn Brink

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
You can use this to disable automatic driver update, and then use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) for nvidia before installing

Turn On Including Driver Updates

create new file eg. Turn_on_include_drivers_in_Windows_Update.reg and edit
Code:
"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000000

save and double click ONDriver.REG.

To turn off Including Driver Updates
create new file eg. Turn_off_include_drivers_in_Windows_Update.reg and edit

Code:
"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001

save and double click Turn_off_include_drivers_in_Windows_Update.reg

Or you can use regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings
ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate DWORD
and changes value to 0 = On or 1 = Off

credit: Shawn Brink

Thanks.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, with NVIDIA, I have to act very fast because as soon as I restart machine--even from DDU and safe mode-- Windows is already installing its ancient driver. I just installed a later NV driver not an hour ago to retest my routine, and it worked fine:

+download and save desired NVIDIA driver,
+uninstall current driver from Control Panel/Programs and Features,
+disable Device Install Service via services.msc
+restart machine
+enable Device Install Service and set to Manual
+install newly downloaded NVIDIA driver. If driver fails to install, check if the above service is enabled and started.

If GeForce Experience installs along with the driver, I always remove it and whack the telemetry services. Maybe there's an easier way but this has been good when I make a snap decision to update the driver. With clean install, I enable a group policy setting specifically for this but maybe disabling the above service would also do the trick--just have to remember to enable it right before you want to install a driver and then keep it enabled. I'll find out when it's time for the April 2019 update, though I've not had a problem with over-writing the Windows-installed chipset or Ethernet drivers yet. It's NVIDIA that always the problem and I never install over top of it. :mad:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Well, with NVIDIA, I have to act very fast because as soon as I restart machine--even from DDU and safe mode-- Windows is already installing its ancient driver. I just installed a later NV driver not an hour ago to retest my routine, and it worked fine:

+download and save desired NVIDIA driver,
+uninstall current driver from Control Panel/Programs and Features,
+disable Device Install Service via services.msc
+restart machine
+enable Device Install Service and set to Manual
+install newly downloaded NVIDIA driver. If driver fails to install, check if the above service is enabled and started.

If GeForce Experience installs along with the driver, I always remove it and whack the telemetry services. Maybe there's an easier way but this has been good when I make a snap decision to update the driver. With clean install, I enable a group policy setting specifically for this but maybe disabling the above service would also do the trick--just have to remember to enable it right before you want to install a driver and then keep it enabled. I'll find out when it's time for the April 2019 update, though I've not had a problem with over-writing the Windows-installed chipset or Ethernet drivers yet. It's NVIDIA that always the problem and I never install over top of it. :mad:
Disabling Device install service isn't a good idea because every new hardware inserted into the PC needs proper driver to be installed. So, best bet is to use windows update blocker to disable windows update and enabling them only when you need to update windows. I use metered network to throttle driver downloads.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Disabling Device install service isn't a good idea because every new hardware inserted into the PC needs proper driver to be installed.

Yes, this is most always correct. However, I have to re-enable that service anyway right before I install the new driver, otherwise the install fails--as it should. Probably not the best method but an effective one for me--see where I stated above that I just have to remember that crucial step to enable it prior to driver installation. Then, of course to leave it alone.

Reactions: oldschool

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Yes, this is most always correct. However, I have to re-enable that service anyway right before I install the new driver, otherwise the install fails--as it should. Probably not the best method but an effective one for me--see where I stated above that I just have to remember that crucial step to enable it prior to driver installation. Then, of course to leave it alone.
Disabling win updates is easy method, a single click solution in wub.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but is there a big reason as to why you cannot just install the drivers over top? I've probably done I don't know how many clean installs of W7 though 10 and I have never experienced any issues whats so ever from just installing the hardware manufacturer's drivers right over top. I'm not questioning anyone, I'm just curious if I'm missing something, again this is just going from my experience throughout the years.

On a side note, I don't know if an internet connection even matters. I was under the impression that the Windows installer itself has it's own default drivers automatically regardless of internet connection or not. Reason being, no drivers, no video, audio, keyboard, mouse, etc... working. The OS needs a driver in some fashion in order for any hardware to work. I could be wrong, but just my understanding.

I also wanted to add that Nvidia has an option during the install to perform a clean install. All you have to do is click the option at the bottom of the installer window. Furthermore I though that when you install a driver, even if one is installed, most manufactures perform their own clean up before the new one is installed? I could be wrong, but I thought most installers are pretty smart now a days where they automatically uninstall the previous driver then install the new one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: oldschool

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but is there a big reason as to why you cannot just install the drivers over top?
Sometimes Windows downloads the latest drivers, which are not designed for the device, there are just compatible and there is a huge difference.
Like mine Creative Soudblaster Z, there are several threads on tenforums, how to get it working. Or an old GPU, a compatible driver = black screen.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Sometimes Windows downloads the latest drivers, which are not designed for the device, there are just compatible and there is a huge difference.
Like mine Creative Soudblaster Z, there are several threads on tenforums, how to get it working. Or an old GPU, a compatible driver = black screen.

Good to know!

I've just been lucky then hehe, as I've never had any of those things happen to me. I guess the question is, if you download the driver for your Creative sound card and install it over top, have you had any issues? Again, just curious.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.