Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
How to download and install Windows 10 S
wwilliams_smallthumb.png

81 Comments
  • upload_2017-8-2_13-10-33.png
Windows-10-S.jpg

Windows 10 S is a special locked down version of Microsoft’s new operating system. It’s aimed primarily at those in education, and can only run apps from the Windows Store, which offers security benefits, including protection from ransomware.

While the OS is predominately to be found on new hardware like the Surface Laptop, Microsoft last week made it available for developers, and from today anyone can officially download and install it. Here’s how.

Firstly go to this page here
upload_2017-8-2_13-10-33.png
. Although it’s for testing Windows 10 s on existing education devices, anyone can download the self-installer.

Read the information to make sure you understand what you can and can’t do. It’s important to note that while you can install Windows 10 S on devices running other editions of Windows 10 it’s not recommended to do so on a Windows 10 Home device as you won't be able to activate it. You'll also need to be running the Creators Update (1703), or later.

Source: How to download and install Windows 10 S

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
S is for microsoft surface machines by default.

f.y.i. you can not install / run any third party software on 10 S. only apps from the windows store will install / work.
Yeah I know and it does clearly state that it only runs Windows store apps in the article. I thought I'd share for anyone who wanted to try it out in a VM or something.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
Oh, Sorry lol. I might try it in a VM though just out of curiosity, I could never switch to using 10S full time or buy a device that only runs 10S for the reasons you stated.

:D no apology needed. am keen on giving it a shot myself.

it would be perfect for seniors who accidentally / unknowingly install puas / pups.

Linux Microsoft Windows 10 S
Is this OS free? I can't find the answer...

the topic of the thread is windows 10s.

there aint no os as linux microsoft windows 10 s. linux & microsoft windows 10s are two different operating systems. you know that right ?

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
there aint no os as linux microsoft windows 10 s. linux & microsoft windows 10s are two different operating systems. you know that right ?

Let me explain my joke:

Linux: If I install a programm by the terminal with apt-get it will install it without ad-ware. It will also check the checksum.
Windows 10 S: If I install a programm by the Windows Store it will install it without ad-ware. (It will also probably check the checksum.)

Linux: If I want to update all my programms at once I need only permit one command.
Windows 10 S: If I want to update all my programms at once I need only to go to the Windows Store.

Linux: If I want to run a programm that I not installed by the terminal I will need to give the run permissions for the program.
Windows 10 S: Windows Store programms only run.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
How would you install drivers in this thing? Especially graphics one.
Looks like everything will have to come through Windows update.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Let me explain my joke:

Linux: If I install a programm by the terminal with apt-get it will install it without ad-ware. It will also check the checksum.
Windows 10 S: If I install a programm by the Windows Store it will install it without ad-ware. (It will also probably check the checksum.)

Linux: If I want to update all my programms at once I need only permit one command.
Windows 10 S: If I want to update all my programms at once I need only to go to the Windows Store.

Linux: If I want to run a programm that I not installed by the terminal I will need to give the run permissions for the program.
Windows 10 S: Windows Store programms only run.
Lol, Linux distros are much better than the Windows 10 S, at least in terms of practicality. The current state of Windows store is laughable.

Reactions: Fritz

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.