Guide | How To How-To: Enter the safe mode in WinXP and Win7 hosted in VMware Player

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I like trying combos of security softwares in the virtual OS hosted in VMware Player Free.

But sometimes, some combos would break down the virtual OS. For example, I found that, after installing Comodo Firewall and HitmanPro.Alert BETA on WinXP, there will be nothing on the desktop after reboot:(...

It is not a serious problem if you virtual machine has snapshot function. But the free version of vmware player does not.

What was worse, we can hardly enter the safe mode to uninstall the conflicted antivirus programs to save the corrupted virtual OS, especially WinXP and Win7.

This is because, the time period between we start up the virtual machine and the logo of windows appears is too short, which makes us have no time to press "F8".

This is not a big problem of Win 8.1, which will automatically prompts you whether to enter the safe mode or not after you reboot it several times. But WinXP and Win7 will not.

In the past, I would just abandon the corrupted virtual machine and set up a new one. But the installation of updates and patches for the new system will consume much time.

Today, I found that, we can solve this problem by adding:
bios.bootDelay = "XXX"
to the vmx file in the folder which hosts the disk image files of the virtual machine, where "XXX" should be a large enough number.

By the way I am not sure whether it is proper to post this thread in this "how-to" sub-forum, since this approach is somewhat trivial:D. If there is another sub-forum that can better match the topic of this thread, please move this thread, thanks.;)

Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I can't remember exactly but you can run MSCONFIG.

Of course we can run msconfig to enter the safe mode when we can enter the system...

But in many cases, we cannot enter the system, or the system cannot work at all, owing to the incompatibility issues. For example, in the case described in the original post, I cannot see anything in the desktop. I mean, there is even no "Start" menu.

In such case, there is no way to run "msconfig"...

L

LabZero

I use Vbox for a long time, I installed W7, I updated it and I installed WSA and my apps.

I then created a snapshot, and when the system is unrecoverable using this snapshot I have the full initial configuration.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I use Vbox for a long time, I installed W7, I updated it and I installed WSA and my apps.

I then created a snapshot, and when the system is unrecoverable using this snapshot I have the full initial configuration.

Do you refer to Virtualbox?

In the past, when I was looking for a virtual machine software, I found that there are many users complaining that virtualbox is buggy.

That is why I chosen VMware Player at that time.;)

Reactions: Enju and LabZero
L

LabZero

Do you refer to Virtualbox?

In the past, when I was looking for a virtual machine software, I found that there are many users complaining that virtualbox is buggy.

That is why I chosen VMware Player at that time.;)
Maybe VMware is more fluid and stable but the latest VirtualBox versions have not disappointed me.
If you are interested here a good guide about snapshots.;)

How to Save Time by Using Snapshots in VirtualBox

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.