How to find your Windows 10 product key

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinu

Thread author
If you upgrade your computer from Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10, you probably have no idea what your product key is for the latest version of the operating system. The time may come when you want to perform a clean installation of Windows 10, and this is when you’ll need that key.

It is not possible to use your product key for your old version of Windows to activate Windows 10, but during the initial upgrade process this key is converted into a new one. Using a special tool, you can find out the key that has been generated for you so you can make a note of it for future reference.

There are actually numerous tools that can be used to determine your Windows 10 code. One of the more reliable and comprehensive is ProduKey which is available free of charge — there are 32- and 64-bit versions of the software available, so make sure that you download the correct version for your system.

ProduKey is provided as a compressed file, so unzip it and then run it. In a matter of seconds you’ll be provided with the key you need which you can then make a copy of, email to yourself, write down, or backup in some other way for when you need it.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Everybody has the same key...for now...:confused:
...it finish at 3V66T

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Everybody has the same key...for now...:confused:
...it finish at 3V66T
That key is a generic key. If you want to obtain/extract your unique key from the registry then open Notepad and enter this text :
Code:
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

Save document as visual basic script productkey.vbs
Run the file. Your key will pop-up. CTRL+C to copy it while message box is presented.
Enjoy

S

sinu

Thread author
That key is a generic key. If you want to obtain/extract your unique key from the registry then open Notepad and enter this text :
Code:
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
i = i -1
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

Run the file. Your key will pop-up. CTRL+C to copy it while message box is presented.
Enjoy
that will be much useful, thank you

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Thanks, BoraMurdar. It is a definitely useful thing. I will store this script for future needs. I usually use programs like Keyfinder or Product key Explorer to retrieve Windows/Office keys

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
It seems MS has given everyone A tempory activation key and this will turn to a fully licenced key after the initial downgrade option expires

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually that's really a pretty good move for MS, since license key should be hidden by unique and translated by little algorithm where usually knowledgeable users should understand it per to reduce the possible pirated copies. *

* For sure until now many are still wondering if the key display on System is really the license key which only time will come to take it as curiosity. ;)

Reactions: frogboy

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Win10 Generic key using Keyfinder Softwares: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
Win10 Generic key using the VB Script: TY4CG-JDJH7-VJ2WF-DY4X9-HCFC6

AFAIK, MS doesn't issue new keys for upgrades.

Reactions: Av Gurus

lednhatkhanh

Level 1
Verified
Mar 20, 2015
Code:

Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
i = i -1
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

Enjoy
Thanks in advance

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Win10 Generic key using Keyfinder Softwares: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
Win10 Generic key using the VB Script: TY4CG-JDJH7-VJ2WF-DY4X9-HCFC6

AFAIK, MS doesn't issue new keys for upgrades.

My is also the same...:eek:
Everybody have key like this???

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
@Av Gurus, everyone who upgraded from Win7/8 to Win10 have been issued the same generic key.
  • If you are upgrading Win7/8 to Win10, then you won't get a new key as MS has decided not to issue new keys for upgrades :mad:. So your Win10 copy will be tied to the hardware id (mostly motherboard).
  • Clean installation will activate only in the same PC that you used to perform the upgrade from Win7/8 to Win10 using a genuine key.
  • If you want to change hardware, then you would have to call MS phone support and they will move your Win10 key to the new hardware id.

Reactions: Av Gurus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.