Guide | How To How to fix - Could not find this item Error when deleting files

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012

"Could not find this item... This is no longer located in C:\users... Verify the item's location and try again."

Folder or file your Desktop that will not allow you to rename, move or delete. and If it is a folder you could successfully delete the contents of the folder, however when you try to delete the folder you get the above error message.
This Video Tutorial shows how to solve it.

Last edited by a moderator:

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
I just reboot, issue solved on new try
Nope sir, Its not that type of file which gives the error like "This file is already open or in use by another application Error Message". In this case the file is use in some process that is running and some people just end the process and delete the files, if it fails restart pc and then delete the file or folder or in safe mode.
But when this error comes "Could not find this item Error when deleting files" which is the topic of this thread then it cannot be deleted by the above 3 ways of the above error.
I've personally had this problem so I googled but couldn't find any post working then searched on youtube and this video helped me.
Restarting , killing the process, of in safe mode won't be the cure of this error tried by me only this cmd method works.
Some files are soo bad ass like in my case so It might have worked with u but not with me.

D

Deleted member 178

whizkidraj said:
Nope sir, Its not that type of file which gives the error like "This file is already open or in use by another application Error Message".

i know, your issue happened once to me, and i just rebooted. i guess i was luckier than you.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Steve Jobs looking at me throughout the video was freaking me out.It was like he knew what I think about Apple.It is still giving me the shivers.

I have never had this specific problem and If I do and cannot fix it with a reboot then I will surely refer to this post. There are quite a few command prompts it would be nice if they were posted in order in your OP so that they could be copied & pasted and saved for future reference.Just a suggestion.It would make a handy reference if this problem arises.

phineasboggs

Jan 15, 2014
Not only did it not solve my problem, but it was a video. Videos are seldom helpful for me and are too long. I need it in writing. Yeah, writing was done, but via video. When it's written out it's easier to peruse and learn from (again, the way MY brain works). Please do solutions without videos.

BCHatesMalware

Level 2
Verified
Dec 5, 2013
I agree that a re-boot can help. I've also used some file unlocker programs, which have also helped. This is one of those almost-ready-to-pull-your-hair-out kind of issues. Fortunately, I've got my hair left... :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.