Guide | How To How to fix "no bootable device – insert boot disk and press any key"

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Ok, let's try this. In command prompt, type:

CHKDSK /R

Let it run uninterrupted. After that finishes, type:

bootrec /fixboot

cagayano

Jan 27, 2013
Fiery said:
Ok, let's try this. In command prompt, type:

CHKDSK /R

Let it run uninterrupted. After that finishes, type:

bootrec /fixboot

Hello Fiery. I tried CHKDSK/R and this is what I got:

The type of file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
marion24 said:
when i repair my loptop in SYSTEM RECOVRY OPTION i have no driver to click what can i do .. thanks

What happened before this problem existed? Who is your PC's manufacturer?

fn_2012

Feb 2, 2013
Hello Jack and everyone here, nice to meet U all :)

Well, I read the article written by Jack as because of I'm facing the exact problem that is shown in the screen shot. However, I guess my problem is little different that he described to solve. To make it sure and clearly understandable by everyone, I'm preferring to share some of the screen shots, I wish anyone here can give me some idea to fix my problem if still there is any chance. I would like to state my problem as ' No hard disk is shown in Bios settings as boot-able device'
http://imageshack.us/a/img834/1382/80519850.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img442/5123/13022077.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img688/6723/99724806.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img542/5034/52842834.jpg

Well, here I would like to mention that the HDD is from Western Digital but might be assembled in China and it is about 3 to 4 years I'm using the laptop, brand and model number is Acer Aspire 4736z, Operating system was installed XP professional version( SP 2), Security software was Outpost free internet security suit 7.1.

Guys, I'm really very needy to fix the problem ASAP as because of there are many important data was stored in the HDD and right now I'm not able to spend cost to data recover.

Thank U everyone to read my post, hopefully I will get some good suggestion from any of U which will guide me to fix this issue.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
fn_2012 said:
Hello Jack and everyone here, nice to meet U all :)

Well, I read the article written by Jack as because of I'm facing the exact problem that is shown in the screen shot. However, I guess my problem is little different that he described to solve. To make it sure and clearly understandable by everyone, I'm preferring to share some of the screen shots, I wish anyone here can give me some idea to fix my problem if still there is any chance. I would like to state my problem as ' No hard disk is shown in Bios settings as boot-able device'
http://imageshack.us/a/img834/1382/80519850.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img442/5123/13022077.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img688/6723/99724806.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img542/5034/52842834.jpg

Well, here I would like to mention that the HDD is from Western Digital but might be assembled in China and it is about 3 to 4 years I'm using the laptop, brand and model number is Acer Aspire 4736z, Operating system was installed XP professional version( SP 2), Security software was Outpost free internet security suit 7.1.

Guys, I'm really very needy to fix the problem ASAP as because of there are many important data was stored in the HDD and right now I'm not able to spend cost to data recover.

Thank U everyone to read my post, hopefully I will get some good suggestion from any of U which will guide me to fix this issue.

If your bios does not detect your hard drive then one of the following applies:
1. your hard drive is bad.
2. your connection cables are bad.
3. your connection cables have a bad connection or have came unplugged.

First check to make sure all the connection cables are securely connected to your hard drive and motherboard. If the connection is secure then your hard drive or connection cables may be bad.
Thanks.:D

fn_2012

Feb 2, 2013
Littlebits said:

First check to make sure all the connection cables are securely connected to your hard drive and motherboard. If the connection is secure then your hard drive or connection cables may be bad.

Hello there! thanks for your kind reply. Well, about the connection problem, already checked it by replacing another one and everything was fine. Then does it mean I lost the HDD and no more chance to get back it live again? I even check it by replacing the circuit board of HDD from another Western Digital HDD. Before doing this, I gave heat to my own Circuit of HDD, thought might be would work. But both of the try was failed( I did not check by myself, it was checked by an technician, he did not find any burn also in the circuit) The thing is that I just shut down it after completing my task and came back again within half an hour to do something else and then I started to get such as boot failure message. Whole day there was no error message or anything else, even shut down also was properly done, there are no dust also over the HDD or the location where it is put, it is said like this problem to happen is very rare for laptop/notebook.........U know then I'm feeling really frustration at this moment.....I expected to get any kind of solution from here, at least to try.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
fn_2012 said:
Littlebits said:

Hello there! thanks for your kind reply. Well, about the connection problem, already checked it by replacing another one and everything was fine. Then does it mean I lost the HDD and no more chance to get back it live again? I even check it by replacing the circuit board of HDD from another Western Digital HDD. Before doing this, I gave heat to my own Circuit of HDD, thought might be would work. But both of the try was failed( I did not check by myself, it was checked by an technician, he did not find any burn also in the circuit) The thing is that I just shut down it after completing my task and came back again within half an hour to do something else and then I started to get such as boot failure message. Whole day there was no error message or anything else, even shut down also was properly done, there are no dust also over the HDD or the location where it is put, it is said like this problem to happen is very rare for laptop/notebook.........U know then I'm feeling really frustration at this moment.....I expected to get any kind of solution from here, at least to try.

I'm sorry to inform you, but I believe your hard drive is dead.
Some PC repair shops can send your hard drive off and try to retrieve data from it but usually hard drives can not be repaired after they go bad.
You might ask your local PC repair shop if they have to tools to repair or retrieve data and get an estimate before making a decision.

To retrieve data from bad hard drive is usually expensive since a forensics approach technique will have to be used.

I wished I could help you more.

Good luck.:D

fn_2012

Feb 2, 2013
[/quote]
I'm sorry to inform you, but I believe your hard drive is dead.
Some PC repair shops can send your hard drive off and try to retrieve data from it but usually hard drives can not be repaired after they go bad.
You might ask your local PC repair shop if they have to tools to repair or retrieve data and get an estimate before making a decision.

To retrieve data from bad hard drive is usually expensive since a forensics approach technique will have to be used.

I wished I could help you more.

Good luck.:D
[/quote]

no no, it's OK, I already got informed about this bad news, just the chance to get the data back either soon or later, depends on my ability to spend the cost. However, still hoping some day, there would be some technology comes which will reduce the cost......until then will wait...........and by the way, no matter U could help me or no, still I'm appreciating much for your kind hand to try fixing my problem, really thank U so much and grateful :)

Have a nice day bro, take care and best wishes for your shop and your life.

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
cagayano said:
Fiery said:
Who is the manufacturer of your PC?

I have a toshiba satellite L755

I would suggest taking a look here:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Computer-Troubleshooting/What-can-I-do-if-my-Windows-7-or-Windows-Vista-laptop-won-t/ta-p/285717

Geminlife

Feb 9, 2013
So I tried doing your step by step process, but I can't get the Advanced Boot Options menu to appear

I'm running Windows Vista on a gateway I got about 6 years ago, since then I've added a new video card and an additional 2tb hard drive. This error has popped up a couple times before (in the past couple months, but never before that) but typically I can just reboot and it'll start up.

I have the options for F2 (BIOS Settings) and F10 (BOOT Menu).

If/when I press F8 on that screen it just takes me to the initial error. "No Bootable Device, check cable insert disc, etc"
One time it just took me to a blank screen with a cursor blinking in the top left corner and just sat there.

I have the files you suggested to have downloaded on a USB and it is plugged in. But it just keep ending up at the error page. Please help.

EDIT/UPDATE:

I have 2 hard drives. The original which is about 50gb. And my added one which is 2tb. As I'm sure you know, they have cords connected them to the motherboard. I switched those chords and then went into the BIOS Settings and changed the boot order to insure that the original hard drive booted first. When I did this I was able to get to a new screen with options for "Start up Repair" or "Start windows normally". I chose start up repair, and after that ran it's course I checked the logs and the error it gave me was "0x45d" and that windows couldn't repair the issue automatically. Tried rebooting and now my computer is just sitting at the first screen: F2 for Bios Settings and F10 for Boot Menu.

EDIT2:

I'm beginning to think that my original hard drive has become corrupted somehow. When I go into the BIOS settings sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. :/

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hi there,

This fix is for windows 7, not for Vista though.

To clarify, you can't boot with either hard-drive now?

Geminlife

Feb 9, 2013
Fiery said:
Hi there,

Ah my mistake. It says in the original post said that this is a Win 7 and Vista fix.

Well my original hard drive is the one with my OS, drivers, etc. And that drive seems to be corrupted. My newer 2tb hard drive is just fine. But when both drives are plugged in I go into BIOS Settings and the only drive that shows up in the Boot tab is the 2tb one. I don't have a instal disc as this is computer is about 6 years old now and I don't even remember having a disc for my OS to begin with.

Seems like it might just be time to buy a new computer.

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Geminlife said:
Fiery said:
Hi there,

Ah my mistake. It says in the original post said that this is a Win 7 and Vista fix.

Well my original hard drive is the one with my OS, drivers, etc. And that drive seems to be corrupted. My newer 2tb hard drive is just fine. But when both drives are plugged in I go into BIOS Settings and the only drive that shows up in the Boot tab is the 2tb one. I don't have a instal disc as this is computer is about 6 years old now and I don't even remember having a disc for my OS to begin with.

It does sound like your 50gb drive is corrupted. You don't have an OS installed on the 2TB drive?

It may be cheaper to buy a copy of windows and install it on the 2TB drive instead of buying a new computer, though it's your choice.

Geminlife

Feb 9, 2013
Fiery said:
Geminlife said:
Fiery said:
Hi there,

It does sound like your 50gb drive is corrupted. You don't have an OS installed on the 2TB drive?

It may be cheaper to buy a copy of windows and install it on the 2TB drive instead of buying a new computer, though it's your choice.

Nope, I don't have an OS on my 2tb, obviously wishing I did now though haha. Would it be that simple to just get an instal disc for windows and just install it on the 2TB drive? Would I lose any of the data/files currently on my 2TB drive by installing an OS?

Also, thanks for all the help so far. :)

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Geminlife said:
Nope, I don't have an OS on my 2tb, obviously wishing I did now though haha. Would it be that simple to just get an instal disc for windows and just install it on the 2TB drive? Would I lose any of the data/files currently on my 2TB drive by installing an OS?

Also, thanks for all the help so far. :)

I would highly recommend to backup your data before installing windows since this is a "major operation." You can purchase a copy of windows in any tech stores. All you would have to do is insert the disc, select boot from CD-drive and the installation will run.

If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.