Troubleshoot how to fix start bar turned grey and no internet access

Mohamed Elkhatib

Thread author
Jun 17, 2016
Hi,
I am not a well experienced person in IT. I have faced a problem with my laptop and it's symptoms or history are as following:
- LAN connection was with no internet access several times this week, but after a computer restart it returned healthy.
- I've disabled by mistake Microsoft 2013 from msconfig - start up tab, to stop launching Lync in start up programs.
- After several attempts to recover my LAN connection, the start bar became grey, no internet access, no access to McAfee unless on scan mode, cannot restore settings even with safe mode, it justs doesn't respond, as well as an important message appears in the flag icon to turn on service security, once attempted it returns with the following message "the windows security centre service can't be started".
- several services are not responding unless in safe mode.
Please advise with way forward.
Thanks in advance.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hi :)

The best way to revert any possible changes by conducting a system restore, your OS is conducted regularly restore points that are fresh and may fix those mistaken configuration.

Upvote 0

Mohamed Elkhatib

Thread author
Jun 17, 2016
Hi,

thanks James for your reply. Of course the system restore would be perfect. I've tried attempting it in normal mode and safe mode in two ways; from control panel and the start>Accessories>System Tools, but it neither do nothing or hibernates the opened window.

Upvote 0

AlphaBeta

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 24, 2015
Hi,
The first thing to do is to scan your PC for malware with a third party antivirus software(Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Hitman pro and if you have no internet access, try Kaspersky rescue disk). Other details like the version of your windows OS and your current security setup would be appreciated.

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If you think this might be the result of an infection it would be advisable to post your problem here Malware Removal Assistance
What version of Windows are you running?
A clean install (or restore from a system backup if you have one)might be a better option since system restore is not working.

Reactions: AlphaBeta
Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Mohamed Elkhatib: The process on system restore is literally time consuming but the process will successfully executed.

Upon the start up, a notification will show immediately if changes occur.

However if you think it is something malware related then seek on our removal section as mentioned above.

Upvote 0
S

Smith83

Install (use the direct download) the Tweaking.com - Windows all in one repair tool. Then boot Windows into Safe Mode, (Make Certain To Run This Program As Administrator) then run through the Prescan on step 2 tab. Then skip to step 5 and create a system restore point. Then go to the repair tab...

Notice create a registry backup is ticked by default, so no need to do so in step 5...
upload_2016-6-19_15-35-44.png

Now run the program, with the All Default boxes ticked!!

Important: Make certain to reboot twice after running this tool!!

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.