How to format main HDD with OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elpibe

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
I need to format a HDD with Windows XP so i can connect it to my PC that have Windows 7, and im not sure how to do it (i try searching in google). Using Windows XP CD or making a Bootable CD its not possible (i dont have any CD), so i have to do it by USB. How do i format it?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Elpibe

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
I think there is a misunderstanding. I have 2 PCs. 1 old Pc with Windows XP and the new one with Windows 7. When i complete the transfer of the files that i have in the old pc i dont need anything from that PC, just the HDD, so i can use it in the new pc.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Formatting a HDD will remove the OS no two ways about it, and yes you can use it in the other PC if it has the same connections, compare the HDD's connections to make sure.
If the connectors don't match up often you can buy the converter for very cheap at any PC store or Ebay.
Also, google the specs of that harddrive to make sure the PC you will use it in can efficiently run it.
PeAcE

Reactions: frogboy

Elpibe

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
Formatting a HDD will remove the OS no two ways about it, and yes you can use it in the other PC if it has the same connections, compare the HDD's connections to make sure.
If the connectors don't match up often you can buy the converter for very cheap at any PC store or Ebay.
Also, google the specs of that harddrive to make sure the PC you will use it in can efficiently run it.
PeAcE
Yes, im asking how to format, the 2nd message is a reply to an answer that is deleted, so its out of context

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Why don't take out the old HDD (from XP computer), and just attach it to a new computer via SATA cable. It will be shown as a new HDD/Drive on your Windows 7 PC... Right click and format the whole HDD. Done.

Or
Download Minitool Partition Wizard Boot CD
https://www.partitionwizard.com/download/pwfree91-x86.iso
Burn it to your USB with Rufus
https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-2.8.exe

Set your computer to boot from USB first, in your BIOS settings.
Format whole HDD via Minitool.
Extract/Detach HDD and connect it to your Windows 7 Computer

Elpibe

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
The new motherboard dont recognize Windows XP, if i connect it i get blue screen. Ill try with the bootable USB.

Reactions: Alkajak and Rishi

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Both mentioned methods are feasible, but I would say Bootable USB option sounds a lot more easier to manage.

What do you mean by your "motherboard doesn't recognise Windows XP", are you connecting the old HDD as the Master or Slave in the Windows 7 PC, or something else?

@BoraMurdar Is it possible to connect an IDE (HDD) to SATA connection?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Is it possible to connect an IDE (HDD) to SATA connection?
Yep there are very cheap IDE to SATA and vice versa converters
1174486.jpg

Elpibe

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
Its not an old HDD cause i change it because the old one die. So now the old computer have a 1TB HDD with XP. When the guy come he tell me that the new motherboard dont recognize XP. When he use the XP HDD in the new pc Blue Screen pop out in a second. I dont know much about this, but i remember he did the slave thing.

A

Alkajak

Workaround in case you're interested.

Download the Windows 10 ISO and burn to DVD or make bootable USB out of it.
Windows 10

Start installation, get to HDD selection, format/delete the drive, exit installer. HDD is now formatted without going through Linux.

Reactions: LabZero
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.