Guide | How To How to format your hard drive and perform a clean install of Windows 7

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Preparation
  1. Have your Windows 7 product key handy:
    Your product key should be located on the Windows 7 installation disc holder within the Windows 7 package, or if you purchased and downloaded Windows 7 online from Microsoft you should have received your product key in a confirmation e-mail from Microsoft after purchase.

You can find your product key on your computer or on the installation disc holder inside the Windows package or in a confirmation e‑mail if you purchased and downloaded Windows 7 online. Below is a sample product key.

Windows 7 product key format: PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

If you want further information check out this Microsoft product key webpage for examples of product key stickers.

2. Write down your computer name:

If your computer is currently connected to a network it is a great idea to write down the existing computer name before upgrading or installing Windows 7 just in case you end up needing it after the Windows 7 installation is complete.

This is less common for home users though if you have a network setup where other computers have existing shares setup to your machine this is going to be important so that the other computers on your network don’t have broken shares.

3. Back up your existing data:

It is always a good idea to backup your existing data to a backup media before performing a Windows 7 installation. External hard disks, USB memory keys, DVD and CD media, or a network folder make a great backup choice. Microsoft recommends that you use the Windows Easy Transfer to back up your files and settings. Check out the Windows Easy Transfer webpage if you want more information on this easy backup option.

Discs needed
  1. Operating System disc (if you do not have one, borrow one from a friend) OR Manufacturer's recovery disc.
  2. Motherboard driver's disc(s).
  3. Internet-service-provider disc(s) and/or modem/DSL install disc(s).
  4. All of your program disc(s) {Example: Microsoft Office, Adobe CS4, Windows Live OneCare, etc.}

How to format your hard drive and perform a clean install of Windows 7 :

Step 1: To format your hard disk during Windows 7 installation you will need to start or boot your computer using the Windows 7 installation media such as the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive. Most of you will be using a disc, so go ahead and put your Windows 7 disc in your computers CD/DVD drive for you will need to restart or turn on your system with the disc in the drive.

Make sure your computers BIOS is set to boot from CD, most modern day computers are setup this way. If your computer doesn’t boot from the disc and you are unsure on how to set this option consult your computer manufacture or email us and we’d b happy to help you. Also Microsoft’s Start your computer from a Windows 7 install disc or USB flash drive guide is a great place for beginners.

Step 2: After turning on your system with the CD in the drive go ahead and press any key when prompted during your computer POST routine and then follow the instructions presented on screen. If you don’t see this go back to step 1 to setup your BIOS to boot from CD or USB flash drive depending on your installation media.

Step 3: On the Install Windows page simply enter your preferences and click next.
windows7installwindowss.jpg

Step 4: Accept the Windows 7 license agreement.

windows7licenseagreemen.jpg

Step 5: On the “Which type of installation do you want?” page go ahead and choose the Custom option.

windows7whichtypeofinst.jpg

Step 6: Select Drive options (advanced) on the “Where do you want to install Windows?” page.

windows7driveoptionsadv.jpg

Step 7: Select the partition that you want to change, choose the formatting option you want to perform and then follow the instructions presented. If you need help with this feel free to email us but for the most part it is pretty straight forward.

Simply highlight the partition you want to format or delete, and click a respective button as shown in the screenshot below. For example, if you delete a partition altogether it will show as unallocated space, and then with that unallocated space you can simply click the “New” button to allocate space.

When allocating space choosing the default MB size for your drive is typically the best for most users since you want to take full advantage of all your disk space. After this you can click the Format button to get the drive ready to accept the Windows 7 OS.
windows7partitionsetups.jpg

Step 8: Once you allocated space, selected a partition, and formatting is complete simply click next and then follow the remaining instructions to finish installing Windows 7 including naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.
windows7installationset.jpg

Preparation for first use :

1. Make sure your Internet is properly configured.
  2. Navigate to Microsoft Windows Update [Computer > system properties > Windows Updates], and install all high priority updates available. Restart your computer when prompted. Continue this process, till all high priority updates are installed.
  3. Install your security softwares.
  4. Install motherboard and hardware drivers from the appropriate discs. Note: only if a piece of hardware asks for the driver, should you install it. Sometimes, once a driver is installed, it will stay installed
  5. Import favorites and place all documents and media, etc back in to place.

mohsin siddique

Feb 20, 2014
Hay thanks a lot admin. I know all this but what my problem is that my C drive doesn't have space to install a fresh window. so what the message it give during installation process is that you do not have enough space to install windows 7. i want to format the drive c and then partition my system
If you cold help that will be great

Last edited by a moderator:

mohsin siddique

Feb 20, 2014
my c drive is 20 gb but my c drive has a lot of spare space. i want to extend my c drive space by shrinking my e drive space. total drive space is 160 gb

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@mohsin siddique During this stage, select each partition and click on delete. You should have one disk with the full amount of space (total HDD size). Windows 7 requires a minimum of 25GB of installation space for 64-bit.

2672031.png

ahsan12345

Feb 19, 2015
i have a 160gb harddisk i want to both of them format and create two new partion i.e disk c and disk d
how can i create this two partion plz help me?

Kantry123

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
i have a 160gb harddisk i want to both of them format and create two new partion i.e disk c and disk d
how can i create this two partion plz help me?
Use MINItool partition wizard and then merge the partition and then split it with whatever size by using a sliding Bar

Regards

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.