Guide | How To How to freeover 10GB of disk space after installing Windows 10 Anniversary Update

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Andytay70

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
How to Free Over 10GB of Disk Space After Installing Windows 10’s Anniversary Update
ximg_5797bdf80b09a.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.YsqMacntCh.png

Did you just install the Anniversary update? If so, there’s more than 10 GB of data wasting space on your hard drive. On a laptop or tablet with a limited amount of storage, this can fill up your device quite a bit.

If you have a computer with a large amount of available storage, you might not even notice this useless data. It’ll stick around for 30 days until Windows automatically cleans it up. But, if you’re pressed for space, you’ll want to clean it up as soon as possible.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
You could also try Disk Cleanup, built-in Win10 (and earlier) feature.
Running it with "cleanup system files", after updating to Win10 Anniversary Update, I got 21.2 GB data to be removed safely. Most of the space was from the update.
It is even worth after Win10 upgrade from earlier 7/8,...

Disk Cleanup - Open and Use in Windows 10

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I still have some old service leftover after upgrading from TH2 to RS1 any ideas, how to remove them? Some of them are MS messaging, user data sync from TH2.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I still have some old service leftover after upgrading from TH2 to RS1 any ideas, how to remove them? Some of them are MS messaging, user data sync from TH2.
Are they in Windows.Old folder that have not been removed by Windows Disk Cleanup?

If so, do not delete. I did a similar thing before and rendered Windows to a non-stable state.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
No, evidently they are in Services.msc. Even I deleted my Old Windows Installations using cleanmgr and deleted some more remnants using linux.

D

Deleted member 178

Space isn't that much of an issue for me. Doesn't the way the Windows Update work kind of like P2P and benefit everyone installing?

yes if you have several Win10 machine in your network they can share their install files to make the updates faster.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.