How to get started as a Malware Analyst?

Shade

Thread author
Jun 9, 2015
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

A little about me: I'm going to be a sophomore in the fall at university, my major is Computer Science (Information Assurance). I've been interested in malware/antivirus since the sixth grade. I remember removing the McAfee security software from my family computer and replacing it with other vendors (kaspersky, bitdefender, eset, etc). I also used to watch youtube reviews of said vendors and other antimalware software, and have just recently acquired my own Virtual Machine and I install malware on there and use different products to see which can best remove the malware.

Anyway, how would you suggest I go about becoming a malware analyst? I've made a list of books to study (pratical malware analysis, art of memory forensics, malware rootkits, botnets: a beginners guide, etc). I also like to read kaspersky's theatpost and malwarebytes' blog, any other tips to get me started in my dream career?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Shade-

1). Study. When you're finished studying, study more (straight A's mandatory).
2). For Electives, look to either Business Administration or Finance.
3). Apply for a MS program, preferably at an institution with Ivy on the walls.
4). Before you finish, they will come to you. Get a copy of either ComputerWorld or CRN. They have a few times a year listings of the fastest growing Security companies. Do a bit of research and pick one of these. As they grow, so will you.
5). Blow them off until you finish your Masters, then when they come back,
6). Wear a really short skirt at the interview.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Shade-

1). Study. When you're finished studying, study more (straight A's mandatory).
2). For Electives, look to either Business Administration or Finance.
3). Apply for a MS program, preferably at an institution with Ivy on the walls.
4). Before you finish, they will come to you. Get a copy of either ComputerWorld or CRN. They have a few times a year listings of the fastest growing Security companies. Do a bit of research and pick one of these. As they grow, so will you.
5). Blow them off until you finish your Masters, then when they come back,
6). Wear a really short skirt at the interview.
...and
7). Tell them cruelsister sent you!:D

Reactions: WinXPert

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You need to understand everything from basic up to complex structure of a program which deals to understand the behavior of possible viruses; especially its called reverse engineering where you need to understand from backward observation as contains HEX, Decimals and Binary.

Shade

Thread author
Jun 9, 2015
Thanks guys. I plan on getting my Masters in Information Assurance, how much will that help me in terms of material learned and job competitiveness?

Also, should I read about other fields related to malware analysis such as network security and hacking? How much (if at all) would reading about other fields help me?

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
By your grammar it seems you are from the US. If that is the case and you get a Masters from anywhere you will have no issue whatsoever landing a job (remember that the pickings are so slim to find qualified US candidates that IT folks have to be imported).

But getting the prime jobs really depends on where you go for your Masters. I mentioned the Ivy League schools above for two reasons- the first is that anyone who is so inclined can be the TA to the animals (give Into to Whatever lectures to Freshman); the advantage would be that tuition is then Free. The second reason is that certain Federal agencies recruit heavily at the Ivy's. A job with them gives you the opportunity to learn cutting edge stuff as well as doing some excellent social networking. And after a year or so you'll be getting calls from Private companies trying to seduce you.

As for suggested reading, that's easy and no secret- pick the area that you LOVE and devour it.

NekoJonez

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
I got this tip from a MBAM lab employee... Keep analysing and studying malware. He told me that after 7 years, he still felt as a noob.

For sure, get to know what malware exactly does, what the difference is between malware, adware, virus...

Read security blogs of various AV vendors. (I often read MBAM Unpacked and the one of BitDefender)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.