Guide | How To How to Harden Your Browser Against Malware and Privacy Concerns

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Hello, I have written an article about How to Harden Your Browser Against Malware and Privacy Concerns. This article details exactly what you need to change, or add, to whichever browser you are using in order to greatly increase both its security and privacy.

I have also separated the advice into that should not have any noticeable affect on your browsing experience, and that which will but will also greatly increase your security or privacy.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Reactions: Alexai and Dirk41
D

Deleted member 178

Donottrack is not fully compatible with Icedragon (the top bar is messed)

requestPolicy will block the banners/image of your sigs, you must:

Right click on the flag hidding your banner -> Request Policy -> select the blocked destination -> select "allow request from malwaretips.com to (blocked destination)

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Donottrack is not fully compatible with Icedragon (the top bar is messed)

requestPolicy will block the banners/image of your sigs, you must:

Right click on the flag hidding your banner -> Request Policy -> select the blocked destination -> select "allow request from malwaretips.com to (blocked destination)
Thanks. I've added the information about the partial incompatibility with Comodo IceDragon. I've also made sure that there was a bug report filed about the problem. There already was.

Please let me know if you run into any other questions.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 178

try it by yourself also , maybe it behave like that only on mine (since i have many addons).

Btw, great guide again.

also can someone test HTTPS Everywhere on Dragon, i tried on many sites but some of them have no rules in HTTPS-E. (ex: malwaretips.com)

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
I use HTTPS everywhere in dragon and it works without any problem
It supports most of the well known sites and mostly those sites which support HTTPS for eg facebook , Twitter , Microsoft , Etc. MalwareTips currently i guess does not support HTTPS
In simple words what HTTPS does is it encrypts your connection so that no one can spy on you

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Very good tutorial.To be safe on internet you need good browser protection.
A computer with low rated av setup but with good configuration of browser is more safe then a computer with good rated av but poorly configured browser.

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
try it by yourself also , maybe it behave like that only on mine (since i have many addons).
I tried it myself with a default configuration and only DNT+ installed. It still messes up the bar.

Here's the link to the bug report for this problem.

N

Nige_40

Thanks Chiron for that great article. I have found it very useful and will update a few things with the software I already have.

With the DHT+ I have found an issue with it using Comodo Dragon.

The Issue is the Options area of DHT+ it is greyed out if you right click the Extension. You can open up DHT+ with a left click but that shows you what has been blocked etc. But there is no area to add a Allowed Sites. But I did notice if you left click the DHT+ it shows you the site that is blocked and it was malwaretips.com and next to it you got allow site if you press that you have to close the webpage down each time you allow a page. But if you don;t the DHT+ turns itself off. And if you left click DHT+ it will say the site you added to Allowed list, but next to it shows block site.

Hope this info help

Thanks again

Nigel

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Nige_40 said:
Thanks Chiron for that great article. I have found it very useful and will update a few things with the software I already have.

With the DHT+ I have found an issue with it using Comodo Dragon.

The Issue is the Options area of DHT+ it is greyed out if you right click the Extension. You can open up DHT+ with a left click but that shows you what has been blocked etc. But there is no area to add a Allowed Sites. But I did notice if you left click the DHT+ it shows you the site that is blocked and it was malwaretips.com and next to it you got allow site if you press that you have to close the webpage down each time you allow a page. But if you don;t the DHT+ turns itself off. And if you left click DHT+ it will say the site you added to Allowed list, but next to it shows block site.

Hope this info help

Thanks again

Nigel
Thank you. I looked into this and found the same behavior seems to exist with Comodo Dragon and Google Chrome.

Also, I may be misunderstanding you but I believe what you are describing may be the intended behavior. If you tell it no to block a specific site the way it does this is to essentially turn itself off for that site and provide you with the option to block it again.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
hi guys thank you again for your tips.

regarding point one: if, for example, i am modifying docs online, would i lose the changes? i am wondering this because on my pc i read something like "you could lose browser history, game history and so on". sorry I am absolutely not an expert

Andra Zaharia

From Heimdal
Verified
Jun 29, 2015
Hello everyone!

I hope you won't mind my adding another guide on the subject, which we just updated to reflect current challenges in browser security.

You can find it here: https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/ultimate-guide-secure-online-browsing/

I'd really like to make it the best resource it can be, so if you have any thoughts on what we might add, they are more than welcome.

Thanks!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.