How-to Guide How to install Windows 10 in a VMware Workstation

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by Jack, Oct 2, 2014.

?

Will you install Windows 10 in a Virtual Machine?

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. I don't know. Maybe in the future.

16 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Jack

Jack Administrator
    Staff Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Bucharest
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    #1 Jack, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    windows10-logo.jpg
    Microsoft only unveiled Windows 10 to the world yesterday, but you can already download a preview version of the new operating system today. The Windows 10 Technical Preview is designed for enthusiasts, developers, and enterprise customers to evaluate the latest changes to Windows.
    If you want to test this new operating system, and you don't know how, then this guide is for you.

1. First off, you will need to download Windows 10 (Technical Preview) ISO from the below link.
    2. Now that you have the Windows 10 ISO, we will need a virtual machine in which you will install Windows 10. If you do have a virtual machine installed, you can skip this step, if not please download and install a virtual machine from the below links.
    3. Open Vmware Workstation, click on "File", then select "New Virtual Machine".
      1.jpg
    4. In the "New Virtual Machine Wizard" select "Typical" configuration, then click on the "Next" button.'
      2.jpg
    5. In the next window, select to install your operating system from "Installer disc image file (iso)", then click on the "Browse" button, and navigate where you have downloaded the Windows 10 ISO. Once you have found the Windows 10 ISO, click on it, then click on the "Next" button.
      3.jpg
    6. Because Windows 10 was just released Vmware workstation does not automatically detect this operating system, so we will need to select "Microsoft Windows" as operating system, and "Windows 8 x64" (if you are installing the 64-bit version) or Windows 8 (if you are installing the 32-bit version) as version.
      4.jpg
    7. In the next window, you can add a name for your virtual machine, then click on "Next" button
      5.jpg
    8. In the next windows, we will need to specify the disk capacity. Depending on your hard drive you can select any amount as you see fit. We have added 20GB for our Virtual machine
      6.jpg
    9. In next windows, you can customize the hardware dedicated to the Windows 10, again this specs are up-to-you as it depends on how powerful your PC is, however the default settings are just fine . When you have finished with settings up the specs you can click on "Finish" button.
      This are the minimum requirements for Windows 10:
      • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
      • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
      • Free hard disk space: 16 GB
      • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
      7.jpg

10. After you have clicked on "Finished" button, you Windows 10 VM should start, if not you can click on the "Power on this virtual machine" button.
      8.jpg
    11. You Windows 10 VM will start, and you will need to go through the Windows 10 wizard to finish installing this operating system.
      9.jpg 10.jpg

That's it! You should now have a Windows 10 working Virtual Machine. Happy Testing.

2. HankTheCowDog

HankTheCowDog New Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Thanks, been putting this off for a while, but your tutorial got me motivated and I'm installing it now! :)

3. HankTheCowDog

HankTheCowDog New Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Yup, that was painless. After downloading/installing the first round of updates - the coveted Start menu returned, with the apps bar attached. Nice. :) Installed using VMWare Workstation 9

DardiM and Jack like this.
  4. suma

suma Level 4

Feb 18, 2013
    India
    Windows 10
    Trend Micro
    How to sync my DVD drive with Virtual Drive and copy a file/folder to test from Real OS to Virtual OS. plz guide..

5. foris

foris Level 1

Oct 23, 2014
    I have used VM but decided I wanted to see what would happen with the actual physical hardware. Win 10 is installed on the same physical drive as Win 8.1. I wanted the boot manager to be active for a dual boot.:)

DardiM likes this.
  6. wiking76®

wiking76® New Member

May 26, 2015
    i've this error
    [​IMG]
    my SO is windows 8.1 64bit and that option is enabled
    [​IMG]

_CyberGhosT_ likes this.
  7. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61
    Trusted

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    @wiking76® : Usually try to tick and untick that option on the BIOS itself where there's a configuration called 'Hardware Virtualization' to enable. That should be fix immediately. Follow the errors provided.

_CyberGhosT_ and wiking76® like this.
  8. xlkiller12

xlkiller12 New Member

Aug 25, 2015
    uk
    is this a virtual system that i can test malware on?

9. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61
    Trusted

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    @xlkiller12 : Any OS when you install on that virtual machine hence you can safely test those malware, don't mess any network configuration as per default is NAT (Network Address Translation) which isolates the network address to avoid any network infection related.

_CyberGhosT_ likes this.
  10. Tabeer

Tabeer Level 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Pakistan
    Windows 10
    Avast
    @Jack: Awesome, I was thinking to install windows 10 on Virtual Machine because before installing any software on my laptop, first I try to install it on virtual machine to check for the potential viruses or third party download junk. I can use VirusTotal.com as well but we don't know what changes it will make in os after we install them, so testing them on VM will be a good idea.

DardiM likes this.
  11. Dan Malwarian

Dan Malwarian Level 1

Jun 1, 2016
    London
    And no license key is required to activate win 10 on virtual machine?

12. SecretKeeper

SecretKeeper Level 3

Dec 25, 2015
    England
    Windows 10
    Avast
    A license key is probably required if you're installing a "public" version of Windows 10 on a VM. You won't need to input one if Windows 10 was already on a device before, however.

13. Dan Malwarian

Dan Malwarian Level 1

Jun 1, 2016
    London
    By public you mean?

The VM by default assumes the identity of the license details as its own?

14. SecretKeeper

SecretKeeper Level 3

Dec 25, 2015
    England
    Windows 10
    Avast
    As in the stable version (Build 10586). :D

Dan Malwarian and Jack like this.
  15. DJ Panda

DJ Panda Level 29

Aug 30, 2015
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Other ways to get a Windows ISO can be found here Windows ISO Download Tool
    You need a license key to activate. The media creation tool was having issues so I had to do it this way.

I am currently setting a VM up if I ever decide to go into MalwareHub testing. :)

Dan Malwarian, silversurfer and Jrs30 like this.
  16. Dan Malwarian

Dan Malwarian Level 1

Jun 1, 2016
    London
    Do I need to pay for that license key? If so where do I buy license keys for windows OS for virtualization purposes?

17. DJ Panda

DJ Panda Level 29

Aug 30, 2015
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    I am not an expert of such things but I used one of my previously owned keys from a computer that no longer works and that one worked. Pretty sure there was a thread with a few involving activating Win 10..?

18. woodrowbone

woodrowbone Level 8

Dec 24, 2011
    And what will happen after the free upgrade is over, will the old Win 7, 8 key be non valid?

/W

19. kuttan

kuttan Level 9

May 9, 2015
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    Just restart your PC after VMware installation and then try again will work.

_CyberGhosT_ likes this.
  20. StopMalware!

StopMalware! Level 1

Nov 25, 2016
    Boston MA
    Windows 10
    Malwarebytes
    Thanks this helped a lot!