How to live without an antivirus?

Fully agree with Jeff on this one. When I first started running without an AV people
told me I was stupid and wreckless. Of course I was a little hurt but I refused to listen,
and I am glad that I didn't.

A comparatively simple security config that causes few issues -- it makes more sense because you are much more apt to commit to using it.

We all like our security softs and like to play with them like 5 year olds on Christmas day - I get that. But people change their security softs more often than they do their underwear - and they very often have no better security than when they started.

If you have not yet attained the zen art of "mind over mouse" like @Lockdown and @Umbra and @_CyberGhosT_ have, then don't go without AV. You have to really know what you are doing, and you also have to really do it. Not as easy as it sounds.

It's not difficult at all. And it certainly isn't rocket science - not even close. If a person can add 1 + 1 = 2, then they are 3/4 of the way to default-deny.

How hard is it to restore your system to a clean snapshot everyday or disable the powershell and Windows Script Host shells ?

How difficult is it to install a security soft and use default settings ?

D

Deleted member 178

It's not difficult at all. And it certainly isn't rocket science - not even close. If a person can add 1 + 1 = 2, then they are 3/4 of the way to default-deny.
For us it is like the air we breath, but for average Joe, it is quite hard to even wrap their mind about using a security software and even tweak it; believe me ^^
How hard is it to restore your system to a clean snapshot everyday or disable the powershell and Windows Script Host shells ?
Quite in fact, most people don't even know how to do...
Not difficult but i won't recommend to use default settings ;)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

Clean snapshots are a pain if you want to keep your software updated.
Disabling powershell and Windows Script Host shells is a great idea.
The real problem arises when your default/deny solution blocks the file you want to run, and you just want to get on with life. This is where the average user will fall.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Clean snapshots are a pain if you want to keep your software updated.

You update your snapshot. You keep it clean with lockdown and then clean out the temps after updating.

The real problem arises when your default/deny solution blocks the file you want to run, and you just want to get on with life. This is where the average user will fall.

On the system I am typing this, I have only 8 exclusion rules. Nothing is broken.

If you are using default deny, then you should not be wanting to run files - but instead blocking them. Block, block, block... ask questions later. Nothing is permanently broken.

R

Rodney74

If you have not yet attained the zen art of "mind over mouse" like @Lockdown and @Umbra and @_CyberGhosT_ have, then don't go without AV. You have to really know what you are doing, and you also have to really do it. Not as easy as it sounds.

Well this simply won't do. You MUST include another name, in your above statement. Unless you want to upset the balance of nature.

I mean to say imagine describing the following famous band as "John, Paul, and George"...

You just must have 4 names.

And don't you dare state that I'm wrong, siting "Peter, Paul, and Mary"... That doesn't count.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Well this simply won't do. You MUST include another name, in your above statement. Unless you want to upset the balance of nature.

I mean to say imagine describing the following famous band as "John, Paul, and George"...

You just must have 4 names.

And don't you dare state that I'm wrong, siting "Peter, Paul, and Mary"... That doesn't count.
If you insist, then add @shmu26

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Same here with one exception, they didn't dare to tell me anything because i'm the great Umbra and they fear my mastery of the Dark Side :p
Then why is there light in your pic?
Did you just refuse to listen to nothing and became glad at refusing to listen to nothing?

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Solutions such as Rollback and Shadow Defender won't protect you from data loss.

If you got hit by a keylogger at 1:00 PM, and you accessed your bank account and your gmail account at 2:00 PM, and you rolled back your system at 5:00 PM, it's too late.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
My personal opinion. Even though signature-based programs are not perfect and may slow you down, I believe they are totally worth it. Try some light options like Bitdefender or Zemana Premium and there should be no problems.
Anyway, if you don't really like these ones, the best option is probably to combo Comodo Firewall with a tweaked browser (uBlock, Avira Safety).
Common sense is always needed though.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I also use that too for quite a long time 'till now as the main security to replace antivirus/other software but I find the increase in boot time unacceptable still.

I agree the boot times were bad, I have the Pro Edition and in latest build you can disable the defrag which makes boot up slow, then you can set a task to have it defrag snapshots anytime during the day. It's gotten my boot up times to more respectable levels. Still going to be some as you have an added service to the boot up process

R

Rodney74

Solutions such as Rollback and Shadow Defender won't protect you from data loss.

If you got hit by a keylogger at 1:00 PM, and you accessed your bank account and your gmail account at 2:00 PM, and you rolled back your system at 5:00 PM, it's too late.

What methods are you using to prevent this?

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Since the keylogger's main objective is your password, it is advisable to use, for the most important services (such as online banking and email), the two-factor authentication.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.