Guide | How To [How To] protect your USB from getting infected

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Daniel Hidalgo

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
Some time ago I protected my usbs with the programs:
MX One Antivirus and USB Doctor :)
It included the first real-time protection was how the usb connected and the other was a vaccine prevented infection in the future when the device is connected.
I have some screenshots of the programs
upload_2016-2-3_1-30-28.png upload_2016-2-3_1-31-0.png

Last edited:

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
McShield does a very good job. MCShield ::Anti-Malware Tool::
? @frogboy doesnt mcshield have a problem with detecting worms? A few months ago I saw someone showing how mcshield allowed worms to get through via usb flash drive? I love McShield and it's always been part of my config since it was released. Just wondering what the status on its worm detection was and whether or not the dev has fixed that issue with McShield. I also use binisoft's usb flash drive control as well and I use that mostly for outboard drives with a ton of stuff on them. Just wondered if anyone has done recent testing on McShield with worms lately?

Reactions: frogboy
H

hjlbx

Thread author
The basic reason why external drives get infected is because users connect them to the system - and leave them connected - without employing any type of ACL (Access Control List) + downloading and saving unknown\untrusted files.

IF you actively download files - and need an AV to tell you a file is safe, suspcious or unknown - then your system is going to get infected at some point -- period.

With a few simple, disciplined habits a USB can be kept infection free = denying access to it most of the time\enabling access only when needed to save a known safe file + not downloading and saving unknown\trusted files.

This is not difficult...

The best solution for controlling USB access is with BiniSoft's USB Flash Drive Control -- which the developer will be releasing a version that functions properly on all Windows versions within the next week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pneuma1985

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
The basic reason why external drives get infected is because users connect them to the system - and leave them connected - without employing any type of ACL (Access Control List) + downloading and saving unknown\untrusted files.

IF you actively download files - and need an AV to tell you a file is safe, suspcious or unknown - then your system is going to get infected at some point -- period.

With a few simple, disciplined habits a USB can be kept infection free = denying access to it + not downloading and saving unknown\trusted files.

This is not difficult...

The best solution for controlling USB access is with BiniSoft's USB Flash Drive Control -- which the developer will be releasing a version that functions properly on all Windows versions within the next week or so.
Thankyou dude yeah I dont necessarily download anything thats risky as far as .exe's or anything I think is an untrusted file except of course in a VM I'll download anything in a vm lol, but the real problem is I have alot of clients that I have to use a pen-drive with... Most of the time their computers are infected whether they know it or not. For example: I'm currently building a wordpress site for an 82 year old woman who makes jewelry. She has absolutely no security software of any kind on her laptop. She is completely computer illiterate. Yet I still have to deal with the client. I know how to protect my machine thats not the issue. I use binisoft's usb flash drive SW and McShield. My main concern is picking up a worm from other clients computer's. So Umbra what would you recommend for my current situation. Some of my clients are literally still on XP and have no idea how vulnerable their systems are. So I'm looking for a bulletproof SW that protects my flash drive but at the same time allows me to transfer data when I need to. All the clients I make websites for and or do gfx for are obviously in a VM but regardless I'd like to keep the VM clean as well. Takes forever to crack adobe lol but not seriously I need something that will protect me from worms specifically. Since I have a descent network running in my house and the last thing I need is a worm to infect my network and my NAS drives especially. Another question umbra have you tested mcshield lately with a known worm and if so has it stopped it in its tracks or are worms still getting through? So for my situation what would you suggest? Anyone with this type of experience feel free to answer also... Umbra is the man lol, but I'd like to hear any suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Thankyou dude yeah I dont necessarily download anything thats risky as far as .exe's or anything I think is an untrusted file except of course in a VM I'll download anything in a vm lol, but the real problem is I have alot of clients that I have to use a pen-drive with... Most of the time their computers are infected whether they know it or not. For example: I'm currently building a wordpress site for an 82 year old woman who makes jewelry. She has absolutely no security software of any kind on her laptop. She is completely computer illiterate. Yet I still have to deal with the client. I know how to protect my machine thats not the issue. I use binisoft's usb flash drive SW and McShield. My main concern is picking up a worm from other clients computer's. So Umbra what would you recommend for my current situation. Some of my clients are literally still on XP and have no idea how vulnerable their systems are. So I'm looking for a bulletproof SW that protects my flash drive but at the same time allows me to transfer data when I need to. All the clients I make websites for and or do gfx for are obviously in a VM but regardless I'd like to keep the VM clean as well. Takes forever to crack adobe lol but not seriously I need something that will protect me from worms specifically. Since I have a descent network running in my house and the last thing I need is a worm to infect my network and my NAS drives especially. Another question umbra have you tested mcshield lately with a known worm and if so has it stopped it in its tracks or are worms still getting through?

If you are connecting a flash drive to infected systems then there is nothing you can use to absolutely guarantee protection of your system from that potentially infected USB flash drive.

I know a technician that wipes his USB field drive after every single field call and re-copies data to it... his system has never been infected. But, of course, few people are as disciplined...

That being said, you can use AppGuard, ReHIPS, Shadow Defender, and Horizon DataSys Rx products to protect your physical system. Shadow Defender can be used to protect all connected drives. However, once a worm executes even on a Shadowed or Rx protected system - it can spread beyond that protected system - and even infect your router.

Reactions: pneuma1985

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.