how to remove boo/cidox.b virus from external hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethereal1

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 17, 2019
I have a hard-drive connected to a hard drive docking station(the hard drive was part of my previous computer which stopped working) and each time I switch it on my avira anti-virus detects a "boo/cidox.b" virus despite the fact that I click "remove" everytime when the anti-virus notify me about the virus. I bought a new computer and i want to use the external hard drive to move files from my current computer to the new one and keep using the external hard-drive with the new computer but I am affraid that my new computer will get infected by the virus which according to what I readed is hard to remove.
I tried a guide to remove this particular virus but It told me to find the virus on the task manager and I didn't found anything...

what should I do? should I completely earase the hard drive with softwares like DBAN?. I already moved some files from the infected hard drive to my current computer so it means that my current computer is also infected? or the avira anti-virus managed to stop it from spreading to my current computer?.
I want to save the files from that hard drive and use them on my new computer without putting my new computer at risk.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have a hard-drive connected to a hard drive docking station(the hard drive was part of my previous computer which stopped working) and each time I switch it on my avira anti-virus detects a "boo/cidox.b" virus despite the fact that I click "remove" everytime when the anti-virus notify me about the virus. I bought a new computer and i want to use the external hard drive to move files from my current computer to the new one and keep using the external hard-drive with the new computer but I am affraid that my new computer will get infected by the virus which according to what I readed is hard to remove.
I tried a guide to remove this particular virus but It told me to find the virus on the task manager and I didn't found anything...

what should I do? should I completely earase the hard drive with softwares like DBAN?. I already moved some files from the infected hard drive to my current computer so it means that my current computer is also infected? or the avira anti-virus managed to stop it from spreading to my current computer?.
I want to save the files from that hard drive and use them on my new computer without putting my new computer at risk.
For Malware Removal, please open a new thread here: Malware Removal Help

Please read before posting: Guidelines - [MANDATORY] Preparation Guide Before Requesting Malware Removal Help

--------- This thread is now closed ---------

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.