How to Remove Your Google Search History Before Google's New Privacy Policy Takes Eff

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
How to Remove Your Google Search History Before Google's New Privacy Policy Takes Effect topic urge you ..

How to Remove Your Google Search History Before Google's New Privacy Policy Takes Effect: on eff.org: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/how-remove-your-google-search-history-googles-new-privacy-policy-takes-effect

QUOTE:
'On March 1st, Google will implement its new, unified privacy policy, which will affect data Google has collected on you prior to March 1st as well as data it collects on you in the future. Until now, your Google Web History (your Google searches and sites visited) was cordoned off from Google's other products. This protection was especially important because search data can reveal particularly sensitive information about you, including facts about your location, interests, age, sexual orientation, religion, health concerns, and more.' ..

:idea:I told you all before the end of this time, so be warned and act now. Do this now, what you should do, otherwise it would be too late afterwards.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I might be missing an important piece of this puzzle, but i fail to see why it's such a big deal that google is consolidating the info they have on me.
I am already getting targeted ads and content in the other services like Gmail and Youtube. Why is this worse?
The data they have on me doesn't leave the Google ecosystem, not identifiable anyway.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A step further from EFF's Guide
https://www.google.com/history

Go to this URL:
https://www.google.com/settings/products#

> Click 'Edit' (next to Your Products)

Then under Delete a Product

> Click 'Remove Web History permanently'

PS: If you signed up to Youtube only using a non-gmail account, you can still apply these actions.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I just killed my Google account. I don't even use Chrome anymore. I use Bing to search now. I use Firefox to surf. Google is a joke even if you don't have anything to hide.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Got rid of my Google Search History and Youtube search and playing History. Nice.

Thanks Prorootect, Earth.

Bo

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Better to search in complete privacy :) Like HeffeD said, I have the same thing too.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Take a look in this topic too:

Google's Ads Preferences Manager Opt Out Personalized Ads: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Google-s-Ads-Preferences-Manager-Opt-Out-Personalized-Ads - in 'Maintenance and Tweaking' section.

Then:

List of Best Search Engines on the Web: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-List-of-Best-Search-Engines-on-the-Web - in 'Other Tech Talk' section.

Thank you!:D

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
HeffeD said:
This has nothing to do with your browser history setting.
Well, that's not what "Google search" displays when I searched for "browser history setting" after reading your previous post.
http://www.google.com.ni/search?q=browser+history+setting&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np&gbv=1&sei=2kRGT9uWOcW_tgfb-dSFDg

Anyway, if setting FF not to remember History has nothing to do with browser settings History, the smart thing that you should have done is explain, Why not?.

Bo

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bo.elam said:
Well, that's not what "Google search" displays when I searched for "browser history setting" after reading your previous post.

My post was in regards to Google Web History, which is what this thread is about. Not browser history, which is what this thread isn't about.

If you follow the link in the first post in this thread, it tells you how to reset/disable your Google Web History.

And as I mentioned in my post, my web history wasn't even turned on. In other words, Google has no record of my searches.

bo.elam said:
Anyway, if setting FF not to remember History has nothing to do with browser settings History, the smart thing that you should have done is explain, Why not?.

I apologize for not being smart... :blush:

OK, to avoid further confusion, this thread is about your Google Web (Search) History. Not your web browser history!

Your web browser history is a list of web pages you've visited, which is stored locally. (on your computer) You can affect this data from within your web browser settings.

Your Google Search History is data compiled by Google and stored on Google's servers, which lists searches you've made through Google, and consequently, the sites you've visited following the search. You can affect this data by logging into your Google account. (as mentioned in the first post of this thread)

This is why making changes to your browsers history settings have nothing to do with your Google account settings.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Heffe, if you read my posts again, maybe you ll get what I meant. On my first post in the thread, I thanked a couple of our friends for the heads up about Google search History, on my second post I was replying to McLovin who was talking about something else.

I realize your level for understanding things is pretty low right now. You are the one whose confused, not me, I have my browser set to "Never remember History" for a long time and removing Google search History or Youtubes history has nothing to do with it. If you have your browser set like I do, Google search and Youtubes History is still being kept unless with put it on pause. If you don't get it now (what I meant previously), maybe my English is terrible or something. I don't know.

Bo

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'I realize your level for understanding things is pretty low right now.'

- No, no, that's my level, that is .. my 'level for understanding things is pretty low right now.'

Yes, because I am a foreigner, and English is not my native language, sorry. So I protest strongly ..

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
nuJsS.jpg

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Family has it on because they use it for school and work and they want to know what they have searched in Google.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Question. After removing Google Web History, how long will it be before it takes effect? Immediately...?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Viking said:
Question. After removing Google Web History, how long will it be before it takes effect? Immediately...?

Yes it takes effect immediately, which is something I like :) No restart needed.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
When I google my name, I still get 6 separate links to my name. (4 Facebook links and 2 forum links.) They're not anything embarrassing or anything, but I still like to get rid of them. Not sure if I did it right?
I get the message "Web History is paused" with my email address . Shouldn't your Web History have your actual name instead of your email address when removing it?

I also get the message: Your search history is currently empty"

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Viking said:
When I google my name, I still get 6 separate links to my name. (4 Facebook links and 2 forum links.) They're not anything embarrassing or anything, but I still like to get rid of them. Not sure if I did it right?
I get the message "Web History is paused" with my email address . Shouldn't your Web History have your actual name instead of your email address when removing it?

I also get the message: Your search history is currently empty"

Hope that this helps :)

3rb3D.gif

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.