How to Report Malware or False Positives to Multiple Antivirus Vendors

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Hello, I've written an article that explains How to Report Malware or False Positives to Multiple Antivirus Vendors.

It is meant to be a comprehensive list of all reputable vendors who produce products that rely on signature detection, in some way, in order to detect all manner of malware. What I have done is investigate how to submit malware, and false positives to all of them. I have then taken this information and created a mailing list that allows you, with a few clicks, to submit malware to the majority of all of the anti-malware vendors in the world. At least that is the idea. You can also submit the malware to the reset of them manually, but the idea is to make it as easy as possible to submit it to as many as possible with as little work as possible.

Please use this article to submit any malware you find to as many vendors as possible so we can help to make the online world a safer place. Also, for anyone who is able, and willing, to help I could use your help to improve this list. Please provide me with whatever feedback you have about the article and help me to make the information provided as accurate, and poignant, as possible. It would be most effective to leave the feedback in the comments section of the article so I have all of the feedback in one place. This will help me to best utilize it to improve the article.

Thank you.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Interesting.

I got an issue with Gmail detecting my .zip attachments to contain .exe files. So I'm unable to send anything to vendors. :(

Reactions: Wihat and Kent

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Earth said:
Interesting.

I got an issue with Gmail detecting my .zip attachments to contain .exe files. So I'm unable to send anything to vendors. :(

Yep, I do note in my article that Gmail cannot be used to submit samples. That's why I suggest using AOL.

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Earth said:
Actually, on looking over my article again I now realize that the part that mentioned that Gmail did not work may have been a little hidden.

I've now moved it to the very beginning of the article.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
Great article, Great list. Just one question what is an AOL ? Sounds like a 90's Frisbee company.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
An excellent informative and helpful article Chiron, Bookmarked straight away.

Thanks. :)

pcjunklist said:
Just one question what is an AOL ? Sounds like a 90's Frisbee company.

An AOL? Sounds ancient and out of date.

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
MrXidus said:
I know, isn't it weird that they're one of the few who work with this new type of article... Wait, or does that actually imply that my article is already ancient and out of date?:huh:

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
It would only become ancient if it came on a floppy disk and required dial-up internet. Kidding aside I think it's a great write-up.

Chiron said:
MrXidus said:
I know, isn't it weird that they're one of the few who work with this new type of article... Wait, or does that actually imply that my article is already ancient and out of date?:huh:

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
ALYac uses also Bitdefender engine
BullGuard uses only Bitdefender engine
ChicaLogic probably uses Malwarebytes engine
Commtouch uses also F-Prot engine
Emsisoft uses also Ikarus engine
eScan uses also Bitdefender engine
Faronics - not Facronis
F-Secure uses also Bitdefender engine
Now the HitmanPro does not use Prevx engine
nProtect uses also Bitdefender engine
Zeobit PCKeeper uses only AVIRA engine
Prevx has been acquired by Webroot
TrustPort Internet Security 2012 uses AVG (Argon) & BitDefender (Xenon) engines
TrustPort Antivirus for Servers 2012 uses AVG (Argon) & Vipre (Neon) engines
Zemana uses G Data, IKARUS, Emsisoft and Dr.Web engines

Reactions: Kent

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
ReviewsAntivirus said:
ALYac uses also Bitdefender engine
Yes, but they also use their own. Thus I can't advise that readers just submit samples to BitDefender.

ReviewsAntivirus said:
Thanks. I'm looking into this.

ReviewsAntivirus said:
ChicaLogic probably uses Malwarebytes engine
Thanks. I'm looking into this. I believe I contacted them about this before and they said they did want samples sent directly to them, but I'll make sure by asking them once again.

ReviewsAntivirus said:
Commtouch uses also F-Prot engine

ReviewsAntivirus said:
Emsisoft uses also Ikarus engine
Yes, but unless I'm mistaken they also use their own. Thus, I can't just advise my readers to submit the samples to Ikarus. They should submit them to both.

ReviewsAntivirus said:
eScan uses also Bitdefender engine
Thank you. I had thought they used their own engine. I'm looking into this.

ReviewsAntivirus said:
Faronics - not Facronis
Thanks. Fixed.

ReviewsAntivirus said:

ReviewsAntivirus said:
Now the HitmanPro does not use Prevx engine
Thanks. I added the new information to the article. Looks like they changed the engines they use again.

ReviewsAntivirus said:
So far nProtect has not answered most of my queries. Are you sure that they use only the Bitdefender engine? If so then I'll add that information to my article.

ReviewsAntivirus said:
Zeobit PCKeeper uses only AVIRA engine
Thank you. I'm looking into this.

ReviewsAntivirus said:
Prevx has been acquired by Webroot
The product is still available and, since many people may still think of it as different, I'm currently leaving it by itself but just pointing out that it uses Webroot's signatures. You'll notice I've done the same with PC Tools.

ReviewsAntivirus said:
TrustPort Internet Security 2012 uses AVG (Argon) & BitDefender (Xenon) engines
TrustPort Antivirus for Servers 2012 uses AVG (Argon) & Vipre (Neon) engines
So far I've had trouble getting a hold of TrustPort. I sent them another email, but I'm doubtful they'll reply. Thus, if you are sure that they only use those three engines, and no others, then I'll add that information to the article and explain the situation.

ReviewsAntivirus said:
Zemana uses G Data, IKARUS, Emsisoft and Dr.Web engines
Thanks. I'm looking into this. I believe I contacted them about this before and they said they did want samples sent directly to them, but I'll make sure by asking them once again.

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Chiron said:
ReviewsAntivirus said:
So far nProtect has not answered most of my queries. Are you sure that they use only the Bitdefender engine? If so then I'll add that information to my article.
They responded back and explained that they also use their own engine. Thus I can't advise my readers to just submit malware to Bitdefender.

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Chiron said:
ReviewsAntivirus said:
I got a response back from them in which they said that the Bitdefender engine is part of its antivirus protection, but that they cannot guarantee that submitting a file to Bitdefender will mean that Bullguard will detect it as well. Thus they recommend that users continue to submit samples directly to Bullguard.

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Chiron said:
ReviewsAntivirus said:
They responded and said that they use many engines. Thus I will continue to advise my readers to submit samples directly to F-Secure.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.