Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Applies to:
  • Windows 10 May 2019 (Version 1903)

Upon installing the new OS Update a couple days ago I noticed minor changes in wording for the Apps & Features settings, and while it's fairly easy to understand, the recommended option (as seen in image) may not be suitable for the majority of Windows users.

Recommendation

I would suggest changing the default choice to "Anywhere, but warn me before installing app that's not from the Microsoft Store" (aka Option 3)

Reason: Option 3 provides a reasonable middle ground between No warning (Option 1) and Highly restricted (Option 4).

How to Configure S-like behaviour

Open Settings ⚙ > Apps > Choose where to get apps include:
  1. Anywhere
  2. Anywhere, but let me know it's there's comparable app in the Microsoft Store
  3. Anywhere, but warn me before installing an app that's not from the Microsoft Store
  4. The Microsoft Store only (recommended by Microsoft)

Image: App & features under Windows 10 v1903

Disclaimer: This does not downgrade your Windows 10 Edition to S Mode. All settings are optional, and dependant on the choice of the end user making these changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.