Guide | How To How to run Windows applications in Linux and OS X

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Yahoo! You just got a new Linux/Mac! Oh- wait darn it your favorite game is windows-only :(
Fortunately, you can run executable files on Linux/Mac OS X now. For practicality I'm showing OS X screenshots.

OS-X
First of all, download the Wineskin file from the URL here:

Wineskin: play your favorite Windows games on Mac OS X without needing Microsoft Windows | Downloads

When you open Wineskin you should see this:

WRCiJVy.png

Click the "+" button to install the Wine engine and click on the latest version, should be 2.6.2 if I'm not mistaken.

Once it's installed, click on the "Create New Blank Wrapper" button.

You should see this:
(Rename the file to your choice. I want City Car Driving, a very nice PC game, ported to my mac)

rOo4Q4J.png

Click (Obviously) OK.

You should then get a separate screen with your wrapper installation instructions. This window should popup first (obviously not CityCarDriving though, but your wrapper name of your choice):

71xUq6l.png

Then this could perhaps pop up too:

P464Stb.png

Uh-Oh! Click cancel since wineskin does not recognize it.

And there should be more popups. Click cancel for every other popup that says it can automatically download stuff. This should popup saying your installation was successful:
qV8k8m9.png

(Note: Cut off on purpose- not too hot on giving out my real name out in public forums :))

Click go to finder. You should see your wrapper in the finder folder called Wineskin:
n0G7PZD.png

(Ignore Euro Truck Sim 2 since I'm currently playing that game thru Wine)

Now open up the skin by right-clicking and clicking "Show Package Contents" then open Wineskin.app to get this window:
NjbiRJG.png

Click on install software, then click Choose Setup Executable.

Select the executable file you want to port to the mac version. In this case, we will be installing City Car Driving into the wineskin.
RMSPn8N.png

If all is successful you should finally see this screen:

vNogAgz.png

(Perhaps not City Car Driving but instead the installer of the program you wanted to be ported onto your mac)

At this point you should just install following the instructions and you can find your program by going to the Wine wrapper shortcut installed automatically.

Enjoy your new software. It runs quite smoothly and very good graphics. Here is a screenshot of me playing Euro Truck Simulator and sightseeing in Calais, France:

ofpPem6.jpg

Just love the cliffs and bridges in the crisp French weather :)

Linux:

Since I don't have a linux to take screenshots on directly sending the images to my mac, I will try to explain the best I can.

Go to the site I specified in the mac OS X instructions but install the Linux version of the wrapper.

Go to this in the library:

/home/user name/.wine/drive_C/Program Files

(or go to home, go to user name, wine, drive, and finally program files)

You will need to do Ctrl + H to see the hidden files of Linux.

Now download your exe file of your choosing. I used Euro Truck Simulator 2 for this one since I wanted to drive in my 750 hp Volvo anywhere in my area.

You must drag your downloaded files in to the same Program Files folder as we just downloaded earlier. Right click and open with Wine Windows Program Loader.

Aha! You will get a fresh copy of your software! Note that this is NOT cracking software or anything- in City Car Driving and Euro Truck Sim 2's case, I had to still pay for a license key in order to play these games. Thankfully they are only $20 which is well worth the hundreds of hours this game could be getting. Looking forward to seeing your Scania on the Autobahn!

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Great guide! Wine for Linux and Wineskin for Mac OSX are two of the most important utilities for users running Linux or Mac OSX and Windows.

However, when it comes specifically to gaming (especially in Linux), I would recommend running the games in a virtual machine using GPU passthrough (if your hardware allows it).
Although this might be difficult to setup, it will allow you to play games at near-native performance.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.