Troubleshoot How to Securely diagnose old P4

cornblack

Thread author
Aug 29, 2017
I have an old P4 pc lying around. that have intel dgc101c motherboard and only 1GB of ram(ddr1).
now i am on skylake and 16gb ram.

at first i had an 80gb(pata) hard drive on that. it failed because of some mbr or heat issues.
after that i've added 500gb(sata) hard disk that i want to use as an extra storage in current pc.
before using the old drive i want to check it if it contains viruses/malwares etc.
how do i do this?

my approach is to use puppy linux or some sort to analyse the data on both drive format, copy them if useful.

any suggestions?

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
before using the old drive i want to check it if it contains viruses/malwares etc.
how do i do this?
Temporarily install it as a secondary (NOT boot) in your current computer, or in an enclosure attached to your current computer or attached with one of these (nice to just have on-hand) to your current computer, then scan the heck out of it. If me, I would probably reformat (not quick format) it too.

Reactions: Fritz
Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
i think its risky dont want to infect my new drives.. wanted to test it in safer/older envoirment..
That is EXACTLY why I made a point to state with emphasis "secondary (NOT boot)".

There is NO RISK if you install as a secondary drive. Nothing is going to run or execute from that drive if simply attached or installed as a secondary drive. Note I have a little shop and this is exactly what we do all the time. I have a docking station that connects suspect drives as secondary drives to my computer. I then run my scanners on it without ever exposing my computer to anything malicious.
wanted to test it in safer/older envoirment..
Sorry, but that is a contradictory statement. Older environments are less safe, not more safe.

Reactions: Fritz
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.